Time has come

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The vendor has been advised about the chain issue .
Unsure how much gnawing or possible damage has taken place on the crossmember
However the frame shows signs of kerbing .or contact with sleeping policeman .
So any wise purchaser will inspect before buying .
Many many years ago a well known cycle magazine based in Bath .
Carried out a review and road test of a Peter Ross Crystal Engineering Trice.
It was supplied in kit form ready for the tame magazine mechanics to assemble .
A few months later it was returned and much to the horror of the designer and maker . The chain had been routed the wrong way and the frame had a 25mm chain saw cut mark ........the frames was written off .
The magazine testers thought the transmission was a little noisy compared to a bicycle

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
Often overlooked but might meet all your needs and expectations ?
The Optima Rider Trike ….orginally made in Holland …...classic tadpole layout .
20" front wheels with cable controlled disc or drums or hydro drums
26" rear wheel all with rear suspension
Fibreglass seat shell with adjustable rake angle adjustment
Telescopic front boom
Gearing can be 3 spd hub combined with 7/8/9 cogs on the rear wheel .
or DR triple ring front and 9 cogs rear .
Indirect (relaxed) steering system
With a no nonsense frame construction of powder coated steel and anodised ali.
Would be close to your upper limit for a trike that was not a basket case !
No doubt forum members will have pictures to illustrate .

Do you have one, or know of one for sale ?!!!!!. By any chance.

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
While out riding yesterday I could hear a strange squeaking noise from the trike. Time to stopped for a coffee and investigate, sadly it revealed what I had been dreading . A cracked frame and it looks terminal this time. I don't think the trike it was built for the mileage I have put on it, some 8500km in the two years I have had it. So back to the start and continue my hunt for a replacement. I am looking for a trike with 26"rear wheel + rear/mid suspension, the crunch being I am looking in a budget of £500 to £800. Anyone know of such a beast.

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_100757673.jpg
    IMG_20190404_100757673.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 37
It would be highly unlikely to rot from the inside unless it was very damp.
Welding two pieces of metal causes the joint to harden and leaving the edges of the welds brittle and failure can happen cleaning both the pieces with a flap wheel and over welding should reinforce the joint.

OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
It would be highly unlikely to rot from the inside unless it was very damp.
Welding two pieces of metal causes the joint to harden and leaving the edges of the welds brittle and failure can happen cleaning both the pieces with a flap wheel and over welding should reinforce the joint.
Hi Ema. Thank you for your feedback. I think the problem stems back to when it was made. Unfortunately the welding was poor from the start and has required two repairs from work colleagues to keep it going. They may come to my rescue again, but in truth the trike is just about hanging on in many areas. Yes I know I should upgrade to a decent trike, but finding one at the right price is proving challenging . Cheers

Clean it up around all the joints and get a welder to address ALL the problem areas and go from there .
I just sold a 20/20 e-trike but it was a little over a grand . ( out of your budget ) and little wheels

Our 20/20 are still in use and are now 5 years old , Only problem we had was putting bigger brakes on them ( 8" (202mm) fronts and wearing out 3 sets of tyres but then the mileage is ramping up on both .

regards emma

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gorweddol

Gorweddol

Regular
Well at long last theres another trike on the horizon. Thanks to Kevin at D-Tek . He managed to find a frame that will take a 26 inch rear wheel has mid rear suspension and 20 in front wheels. Having the wheels built so hoping to be on the road next week. Shall be a little sad to see the old Trike go as I have cycled just about 9000k in the three years I had it. But it will be great to have quality frame that will not keep failing. Going to donate the old Trike to a local charity unless anyone here can make use of it.

Top Bottom