Time to change....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Polite

Über Member
I have a Dawes Mojave. I have had it about 4 years and cycled pretty regularly (no computer so not sure of mileage), done the London to Brighton, commute 6 miles a day and used it for holidays in France. I am not a good example as I have only had it serviced twice, the free one I got after buying and 2 years ago. Little creaks are starting to happen. Halfords and an independent bike shop say it might be time to change rather than doing lots of little work to it. I don't have space, tools nor the nouse to repair myself so I'm thinking of cutting my losses and buying new.

After all that my question is I'd like a hybrid again, and I'm very tempted by a Specialized Sirrus, but should I go for an entry level Specialized or spend a bit more...., or buy secondhand? Maximum budget £400. Would like something I could perhaps use off road too - maybe by adding appropriate tyres? Also any better way of selling my existing other than by using, say, Gumtree?

All your thoughts gratefully received.

Thank you in advance.

GlenBen

Über Member
What sort of work does it require? I would imagine a new cassette, chain, possibly chainset, tyres and brake blocks would give it a nice new lease of life?

There is a for sale forum on here, or for swaps. Always worth a try.

OP
OP
Polite

Polite

Über Member
Thanks, will have a look. The Halfords' guy painted a really bleak picture though probably just wanted me to buy a new one!

GlenBen

Über Member
Always a possibility, puts a nice £400 on his sales figures. Could post a few upclose pictures on here, few of the major parts etc. Im sure people would be more than happy to offer their opinions on the best route for you.

Kies

Entry level specialized sirrus are okay, but i would try and go for a sport or an elite.
I have the elite with carbon front fork and it's a fast road hybrid. With a change of tyres it's a winter off roader

Top Bottom