Time to do a 104 mile Sportive

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Im doing a fairly arduous 104 mile Sportive soon with about 7500 ft climbing. I know I can do that in about 10 hours barring disasters and hope to get around in about 9 if I have a good day.

Whats the longest time that the tail enders generally come in on an event like this or will I be the tail end charlie (PS I dont mind coming last ,just asking out of interest.)

This is my first Sportive so my only real aim is to keep out of trouble and enjoy the day.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Recent Northern Rock Cyclone (Ride C) (104 miles, 7789 ft climbing)... check result times here: there's a few 9s and 10s in there. Not sure what happens with broom waggon... best check with organisers. Which one are you doing? :tongue:

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fnaar said:
Recent Northern Rock Cyclone (Ride C) (104 miles, 7789 ft climbing)... check result times here: there's a few 9s and 10s in there. Not sure what happens with broom waggon... best check with organisers. Which one are you doing? :biggrin:

Thanks for the link,looking at those results there are quite a few in my time bracket and even a few entries on 11 hours 40 something.

Doing the Merlin in Carmarthenshire Juy 4th.

I'm one of those that did the Cyclone in just over 9 hours. That did include a half hour wait at a cafe.

Just make sure you enjoy the day and take plenty of water, as well as making sure that you get plenty of nutrition. I don't know about feed stations on your ride but make sure you take advantge of them. With plenty of energy bars/flapjacks/gels inside it'll be lot easier.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

oakroyd said:
I'm one of those that did the Cyclone in just over 9 hours. That did include a half hour wait at a cafe.

Just make sure you enjoy the day and take plenty of water, as well as making sure that you get plenty of nutrition. I don't know about feed stations on your ride but make sure you take advantge of them. With plenty of energy bars/flapjacks/gels inside it'll be lot easier.

Thanks for that.I have done the distance a few times just not on an organized event.

just replaced my water bottles with 2 750mil ones and will probably refil at least once.Will take care to eat loads and may even get a better time than I expect but not overly concerned about the time. Theres 3 feed stations but I will take my own flapjack,energy bars etc.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Incredible times !

I did a bit of googling and found results of Evans Sportives. This screenshot is from the King of the Downs this year 113 miles and 9000 ft climbing.

Incredibly one guy at least did it in 4 hrs 14 AVERAGING 26.9mph :smile: There were a few more averages of over 24mph, I couldnt do that on one flat mile let alone 113 hilly miles.These guys must be built of steel(or maybe carbon fibre):tongue:

Quite a few results down around the 10 plus hours mark which I found encouraging.Dont mind being towards the back so long as I have some company.
KingofDowns.jpg

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Email from Northern Rock organiser hints at time restrictions on long route in future...

"As the event continues to grow it may mean that time restrictions are put on for the longer rides and if a rider does not reach a timing station within a specified time they are then directed to a shorter route. "

Email goes on to point out that some volunteers at stations were 'on' for 14hrs... seems fair enough to me to place a limit, but I wonder what it will be? :tongue:

PK99

Legendary Member
Banjo said:
I did a bit of googling and found results of Evans Sportives. This screenshot is from the King of the Downs this year 113 miles and 9000 ft climbing.

Incredibly one guy at least did it in 4 hrs 14 AVERAGING 26.9mph :smile: There were a few more averages of over 24mph, I couldnt do that on one flat mile let alone 113 hilly miles.These guys must be built of steel(or maybe carbon fibre):tongue:

I did a similarly fantastic time in an Evans sportive a while ago - i had pre registered for the long 90+ route, but on the day chose to do the 60 mile short route. The Evans system gave me a time based on the long route converting me from 50+ plodder to 25year old speed king!

Top Bottom