Time to get back on a Bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flava

Will try keep it short.

Used to be an avid bike user 10+ years ago but due to some health problems i could no longer ride and so on. This annoyingly aided in getting me to a horrible 25st now i am better im hoping to once again get on a bike.

But i'm not sure what is going to be suitable at my current weight.

I was looking at the Carrera Fury and the GIANT Talon 2 2019 not sure if these would fit the bill
Budget is around £600 with room for more if something is massively better.

Am i expecting to much or is this something that will work.

CXRAndy

Guru
Can you use a spin bike to aid reduce weight. I don't know of bikes other than steel Hybrids that will take the weight you're currently at

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Morning @Flava and welcome with a £600 budget there should be loads to choose form so get out there and visit some bike shops , my thoughts would be to try and get a lightly used 2nd hand machine to start with whilst you test the water and then once you get and keep the motivation going then go down the new bike route

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't know of bikes other than steel Hybrids that will take the weight you're currently at

Secondhand 26" rigid steel MTB. Something that will be strong enough to take the punishment of a massively heavy rider on board every time a bump or pothole is encountered. Run that for at least a year until rider weight comes down to somewhere near normal levels.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I would also go the second hand route. Spend £600 on a bike and break it, you're out £600 - but spend, say, £200 on a second hand one and break it you still have £400. Enough for two more bikes!

Or you could buy a second hand bike and a trainer maybe (and still have money left over)?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I would also go the second hand route. Spend £600 on a bike and break it, you're out £600 - but spend, say, £200 on a second hand one and break it you still have £400. Enough for two more bikes!?

Or spend sub-£50 on a secondhand bike and don't break it. Then you've got £550 left AND a cheap beater.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Or spend sub-£50 on a secondhand bike and don't break it. Then you've got £550 left AND a cheap beater.
An excellent suggestion, as long as Flava is ok with the mechanical side of cycling. A sub-£50 bike is bound to be less than pristine and will most likely need tinkering with to keep it roadworthy. This could also be the case with a £200 bike though, I suppose...

OP
OP
F

Flava

Many thanks for all the replies lots of food for thought, i may just go the cheaper second hand route first.

Top Bottom