Time to leave the cleats alone ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Does anybody find it more comfortable to do long, consecutive days of touring in flats? If no do you carry a spare pair or sneakers/shoes/flip flops ?

For multi-day touring I find SPD type shoes best as they're good off the bike without the need for additional footwear. However, I take a pair of flip flops for showering and evening wear. They take less room than normal shoes. Some of the other tourists I ride with take lightweight canvas shoes (i.e. espadrille).

I can understand the argument for flat pedals and one pair of shoes, but I find flat pedals more fatiguing: down-down pedal stroke vs round-round. This can make a big difference on long multi-day rides.

Last edited:

HelenD123

Guru
Does anybody find it more comfortable to do long, consecutive days of touring in flats? If no do you carry a spare pair or sneakers/shoes/flip flops ?
I've done months of touring using flats with no issue. I tried SPD very briefly but didn't get on with them so can't really give a proper comparison.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I love my spd's but also love my flats. I find I can ride further and with less fatigue on spd's but if my dad and I actually get to do our planned c2c I'll be using the flatties with normal shoes because of the vast amounts of pushing the bikes up the hills I fear we'll be doing.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Another option is to stay with clipless pedals but go with mountain bike pedals. They are easier to release from. I have clipless pedals on both my road and mountain bikes. I have Time ATAC Aliums on both. That way I only have to wear one pair of shoes. They are Specialized mountain bike shoes but stiff soled. Give it a thought before you give up on clipless.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I ride SPDs on all my bikes. When I first changed to clipless from flats I taught myself to unclip the left first, my theory being I'd rather fall on to the verge than in to the traffic!!

When I tour I simply where my MTB shoes when riding and in the evening.

@Landsurfer in my view you simply fell off. I'm so used to unclipping the left first I don't know how quickly I could get the right unclipped - I'm not intending to experiment 😄

One thought for you. A few months back I experienced difficulty clipping in and unclipping during several rides. Eventually I arrived at a junction, went to unclip and couldn't as the cleat had jammed in the pedal. My only option was to fall off. My cycle buddies said it was quite graceful.

At home close inspection revealed the cleats were nackered, worn out. I replaced the cleats and problem solved. You might want to check this aspect.

Exlaser2

Veteran
I have tried a lot of clipless pedals over the years as I seem to to have stiff ankles and have trouble uncleating . Spd pedals with multi release angle cleats are the best as you can release you foot by lifting it rather than having to turn your foot.
The only trouble is they make my knees hurt so I had to swap to speedplay frogs , l do have the odd uncleating moment but as they have no spring tension it’s relatively easy to uncleat. Think they are no longer sold, so it a good job I have a stock of spares and cleats. Don’t know what I will do when my stock runs out .

Re your original question landsurfer I can unreserverdly recommend these:
https://www.polaris-bikewear.co.uk/Splinter-Mountain-Biking-Shoe-p/pol01-4786-p.htm
they do have a cleat fitting but on mine I have screwed it firm down so it is just a plain flat sole.
Polaris indulges in PlanetX style yo yo pricing - they can be had for as little as £40.
Note the caution on sizing - they come up small.
If you go for may be worth ordering two pairs, returning 1.
Re @Vantage s post upthread, they are great for pushing fully loaded bikes - I don't really have to push my exped bike up hills because of its great gearing but do sometimes over fields or cobbled canal bridges.

>>edited for typo

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
When I bought my touring bike a few years ago, I wanted SPD pedals because I've used them for years but I also wanted double-sided SPD pedals with reflectors. I saw that the Click'R Shimano PD-T400 pedal fitted the bill and bought a pair. They have a lower release force than regular SPDs and come with the multidirectional SM-SH56 cleat.

After reading about Click'R being recommended for beginners because they release easier, I was concerned that there might be an issue staying attached but I find that I stay attached to the pedal just fine when pedalling and they release so easily that I almost don't have to think about releasing (though obviously I still do in anticipation approaching a give-way etc.). I'm a right-foot down cyclist (maybe because I'm left-handed) and the other day when dismounting, I unclipped and put my right foot down and then swung my left leg over, forgetting to unclip first. I felt the resistance but my foot came away easily without issue. There have been a few times on the rough stuff when I've had to put a foot down quickly to keep relatively upright and I have managed even without thinking (or having time) to consciously unclip.

On my folding bike with flat pedals (which I ride once in a blue moon), I do find that I take a short time to get used to not having the SPD and I unintentionally lift my foot off the pedal sometimes.

Top Bottom