Time to stop being a slob!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WellyWonkey

Hi there fellow cyclechatters, I'm Dave from Manchester. I've finally decided to get off my fat a**e and lose some weight. I used to love riding my Grifter as a young lad (was never off it). Anyway finally grew up, got married, had kids which left me with not much spare time to enjoy any "me" time. The sprogs are a bit older now and I've grown too (unfortunately outwards!) so have made the decision to shrink back down to a healthier size. Can't think of a better way of doing it other than cycling which I used to love. Luckily for me, a work colleague was selling his bike due to his dodgy ankles (Giant Rapid 2). I'm so far out of the loop in terms of cycling I had to google the said bike as I had never heard of this make. Anyway to cut a long story short, I bought the bike, shopped around for all the other bits which I also had never heard of (SPD's, track pump, clipless shoes, etc) spent a small fortune which pleased my missus no end and ventured out, nervously onto the dreaded roads. I think I did ok considering my lack of riding practise but I loved it and have regained the bug. Had a few hairy moments but tried not to let it put me off. Been out about 5 times now and have found out (to the detriment of my poor old legs!) why the peak district is called the "peak" district! Think I was biting off more than I can chew with that ride, but I managed 25 miles which I was really proud of. I know it's a bit lame in the grand realms of "proper" rides but hopefully as the light mornings re-appear I'll be able to build onwards and upwards from there?

Anyway, just thought I'd drop a line and meet you all. I've been reading as a guest for a couple of months and have enjoyed what I've read on CC. It is organised and set out well. Was hoping to get out today but the gale blowing outside has put me off.

Thanks for reading........cheers and happy new year to everyone!

Dave W.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Hi Dave. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy it here.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Welcome, I have a Giant Rapid as well and love it.
25 miles is not to be sniffed at in any way shape or form, especially if you're a new comer!!!

Well done for getting out on the bike. 25 miles is an awesome effort! When I started 4 to 5 miles was an effort! keep it up!

ScotiaLass

Guru
:welcome: Dave

Cracking effort for your first ride out!
I ride an MTB and have only just got back into it after several years away due to ill-health.
My health still isn't that great, but I ride 10-15 miles at a time now and I love it, which for me is the main thing!

Enjoy!

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and a warm :welcome: to you.
25 miles is an excellent start but it is easy to overdo it when you first start out.
I would suggest you take it a bit easier and work yourself gradually into cycling.
But, hey, you know your own body so good luck to you and enjoy.

rb58

Enigma
Hello and welcome. 25 miles is a decent ride, well done. I remember the thrill I experienced when I first started and rode all the way to London - less than 15 (flat) miles!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to the forums. 25 miles is very decent. Not so sure that I could ride 25 miles at the moment as I have lost so much fitness over the last few months. It will return though and happily I am in nice (not as flat as people think) Norfolk.

Top Bottom