Time trial wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ilias

Hi guys, my tt rear wheel is busted and thinking of using either a 32 wolber profil 20 (20mm deep) or a mavic cxp 30 (30mm..) at an expence of about 120gr in order to be more aero. Do you think its worth it? And if you do would you change the front wheel to a cxp 30 too?
Thanks
Ilias

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
What's your budget for wheels?

Also: try searching here Timetrialling forum

I've really no idea whether small differences in the depth of rims for "typical" road wheels will make a difference or not. Weight matters if you have to go uphill, but it's normally less of an issue for timetrialling.

OP
OP
I

ilias

Well, I have the hubs and I have the rims, and I build the wheels myself. Why? What do you have in mind?

montage

God Almighty
I have read somewhere that there is no benefit unless wheel is 40mm, unsure about the validity of this, but just throwing it out there...may be worth reading into

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
ilias said:
Well, I have the hubs and I have the rims, and I build the wheels myself. Why? What do you have in mind?

Ahhh!

I don't have anything in mind, just didn't understand you already had the bits.

I haven't a clue what might be better given a choice between those options.

OP
OP
I

ilias

Hmm, didnt know about the above 40mm situation but I ve heard that wheelcovers dont realy have the "sail" quality of disk wheels and that they just add weight. If only Sheldon was still around..

Will1985

Über Member
The only thing that wheelcovers don't have is the funky noise - you'll find plenty of people on timetriallingforum or slowtwitch praising wheelcovers over a standard disc for cost, versatility - the difference is something like 2 seconds over 40km.

OP
OP
I

ilias

Thanks Will85, very helpfull. As for the sound I ll record some on my walkman. What about the front wheel though. I ve heard that it actually is the most aerodynamically important..?

Top Bottom