Time trialist dies...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Can they not though make the traffic aware of cyclists being on the road?

Even before I got into cycling, if I saw someone in a dayglo vest on a road junction with a cyclist nearby, I would think, "Is there a race on, are there others?"

Trouble is the vast majority of drivers can't see past their bonnet till they hit something, and shouldn't be trusted putting a cat out at night, lt alone being in sole charge of a ton or so of metal hurtling along a road.

If you KILL someone due to your driving, then you should NOT be given the priviledge of getting another chance behind the wheel.

To be honest it is all to easy to slam all concerned, I guess the Driver of the car did not that morning set off with any intention to cause a death, Likewise, the poor lass was not to know that was to be her last time trial. Neither would the organisers of the TT, who would have I am sure done all the checks and risk assesments foreseen such a tragedy occuring. In my own opinion, the problem on our roads these days is to much information, So many road signs, so many white lines and road marking, that it distracts the driver attention from what the situtation is with regard to the intentions of outher road users. Added to that there would no doubt have been the TT own signs and marshals to further add a distraction.

I think one has to look at the big picture before considering the removal of another road users priviledge's

e-rider

crappy member
the things that distract some drivers are mobile phones, radios and not thinking about what they are doing ie. daydreaming, loss of concentration or simply being incompetent at driving and using excessive speed.

Some people tend to do these things all the time.

I agree that once you've killed someone you shouldn't be allowed to drive again. And more should be done to get these drivers off the roads BEFORE that happens. Eg. repeat speeders, witnessed dangerous driving manouvers and mobile phone use should carry driving bans of a few years - don't wait for someone else to be killed before taking action against such drivers.

In many cases these drivers are accidents waiting to happen.

Top Bottom