Tingling finger....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I sometimes get 'road bike buzz' in my fingers but for the last couple of months I've had a constant tingle in my index finger on my right hand. I can almost pinpoint the day it came on, After a bike ride (about 30 miles) with Mrs V I had the 'buzz' for an hour when it went away I was left this tingling finger and its been constant ever since.

After about a month I mentioned it to the Doctor during a routine T2 check up thinking it might be the start of carpal tunnel (a mates got it) and she said not to worry about it as carpal tunnel comes and goes and is normally in the wrist and hand so it was unlikely to be that.

She said it was probably a trapped or damaged nerve and....... err.... live with it...

Now I know people have far more serious conditions like Carpal tunnel and Arthritis etc.... so I don't want to go on about it but Its beginning to annoy me now.... any suggestions on how to alleviate the (slight) pain ?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I've only just got rid of a tingle in my fingers that appeared in May after cycling from Newhaven to Paris. It was a cyclical (sic) disappearance. Mine was diagnosed as a trapped/compressed nerve and 'live with it, it will go away eventiually' was the advice that I was given.

My doctor's advice proved to be correct.

OP
OP
simon the viking
it sounds similar problem to yours then @vernon ... It definitely appeared after a particular ride... the Doctor certainly appeared blasé about it.... hopefully it will go away in time then...

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I've only just got rid of a tingle in my fingers that appeared in May after cycling from Newhaven to Paris. It was a cyclical (sic) disappearance. Mine was diagnosed as a trapped/compressed nerve and 'live with it, it will go away eventiually' was the advice that I was given.

My doctor's advice proved to be correct.
it sounds similar problem to yours then @vernon ... It definitely appeared after a particular ride... the Doctor certainly appeared blasé about it.... hopefully it will go away in time then...
I have the above symptoms pretty much all the time in my left hand, on good days it can tingle free then on others it is tingling all the time and riding a bike is not fun as the road buzz even with gloves and phat tape set it off.
I have been "diagnosed" with trapped nerve and given physio for it which really helps, hees one that work for me along with others.

Assuming its in the neck i can give you some pointers.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Six months ago I experienced a strange sensation in my left pinky: it felt five times fatter than normal and was tingly. This was mainly along its length where it touched my ring finger but the outside of the pinky was fine. The worrying bit for me was that sometimes when I was holding a fork during dinner, the fork would press on a specific point on the inside of the pinky and produce a sudden and intense sharp pain. Twice I threw the fork across the room in a purely reflex reaction.

The doc identified the problem as neurapraxia, saying it would go away in around two months. I've still got it. It is noticeably better though and I expect it'll eventually disappear. In the meantime I am very careful how I hold things in my left hand.

GC

Yorksman

She said it was probably a trapped or damaged nerve and....... err.... live with it...

It might be wrist position on your handlebars.

This page on handlebars has some slides about the effect on blood flow and nerves of certain hand positions. Just click on the icon for a larger image and description. It is a widespread phenomenon

http://www.ergotec.de/en/05_lenksysteme.php#slide-1

Top Bottom