Tinnitus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Might be easier to get a hearing test (pure tone audiogram) at somewhere like Specsavers. ENT outpatient departments are probably quite busy at the moment.

I get noises/ whistling in my ears from time to time. Probably post viral.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I've had Tinnitus for many years. ...
guessing by your user name... was it Hawkwind?

Slick

Guru
I've had Tinnitus for many years. Got hearing aids late last year in the hope it would help but it didn't sadly. Just got used to it. Some days worse than others.
I was advised to get a hearing aid with the theory being that the tone of tinnitus is the tone where the greatest hearing loss occurs. The hearing aid is set to that tone only, and the when the brain realises that it can once again hear that tone, it will stop creating that tone.

Obviously its a load of old pony but that's the theory.

GuyBoden

Guru
I get tinnitus when my ears are blocked with wax, I've started using an ear wax remover as I can't get an NHS appointment.
It works well, if you soften the wax with olive oil for a few weeks before using.

These type:

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Removal-Cleaning-Irrigation-Flushing-System/dp/B09K45YT91/ref=sr_1_37?crid=Y0FKIR2ZG3ZP&keywords=ear+wax+removal+kit&qid=1644099784&sprefix=ear%2Caps%2C69&sr=8-37

51KZgTZxM1L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

midlife

Guru
I'd rather pay for microsuction at Specsavers or other provider. Its the way I have had my ears cleaned for the last 20 years. Have you ever had it done that way?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had tinnitis for a long time. As teenager, I spent a long time on the rifle range trying to punch holes in a black dot 600 yards away with a Lee Enfield 0.303. Ear protection technology was primitive back then. After that, a lifetime of using woodworking machinery didn't exactly help. Mine is just a high frequency hiss but it's continuous, not intermittent, so it's not too intrusive. I have done online hearing tests which show that I can't really hear much above 9 kilohertz. As a kid, I was good for about 18 kilohertz. It's not a big deal fortunately, but I really can't stand being in noisy pubs.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
thread resurrection... i reckon my tinnitus has gotten a lot louder since posting in February.

As mentioned i've had it for years but haven't always noticed it, if that makes sense, but this year it's gone from the background to the forefront and whilst it's not driving me round the bend I do feel the need to address it.

According the NHS page:

Causes of tinnitus​

It's not always clear what causes tinnitus, but it's often linked to:​
  • some form of hearing loss
  • Ménière's disease
  • conditions such as diabetes, thyroid disorders or multiple sclerosis
  • anxiety or depression
  • taking certain medicines – tinnitus can be a side effect of some chemotherapy medicines, antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and aspirin
I'm wondering if the escalation throughout this year is a result of being pumped full of antibiotics at Christmas? ...or am i just getting old :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The last one, getting old. :rolleyes:

Had the condition all my life. Main difficulties are difficult to follow conversations in loud pubs/gatherings, although that's fairly normal.

Slick

Guru
thread resurrection... i reckon my tinnitus has gotten a lot louder since posting in February.

As mentioned i've had it for years but haven't always noticed it, if that makes sense, but this year it's gone from the background to the forefront and whilst it's not driving me round the bend I do feel the need to address it.

According the NHS page:

Causes of tinnitus​

It's not always clear what causes tinnitus, but it's often linked to:​
  • some form of hearing loss
  • Ménière's disease
  • conditions such as diabetes, thyroid disorders or multiple sclerosis
  • anxiety or depression
  • taking certain medicines – tinnitus can be a side effect of some chemotherapy medicines, antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) and aspirin
I'm wondering if the escalation throughout this year is a result of being pumped full of antibiotics at Christmas? ...or am i just getting old :whistle:

Mines has become worse recently as well, best get used to it though. :surrender:

postman

Legendary Member
mrs P is having the same problems,Doctor has booked her in for an appointment with audio at local health centre.She actually slept two nights ago listening to very low music from her phone.

diegoalv

Regular
My tinnitus becomes worse and worse and the hearing in general is not as good as it used to be couple of years ago.
Anyone actually done an online hearing test? How accurate is it? Should I do that or is it better to visit a doctor straight. We live far in the woods and the nearest audiologist is 60 miles away. Looking forward to some tips.

Top Bottom