Tiny rides of 2023

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
A tiny ride of just 1 mile today! After being out for a run on my Cannondale I got back home and decided to have a look down to the Cockfield footpath on the Univega, complete with jazzy new bar tape. I just went to see if it was still a swamp but was pleasantly surprised ~ I think the winter traffic news terminology is 'passable with care' :laugh:. Now I know I can have a crack at my local loop then, but not today, the legs were knackered after my hilly 17 miler before. Stopping on the way back up to take a couple of pictures and I spotted a grim sight just next to the bike, this poor fella lying dead at the bottom of a loose coil of fence mesh, probably went in after a mouse and couldn't get back out :sad:.

View attachment 724654 I pulled him out to have a better look, don't think he'd been dead long but very much an ex-barn owl, before depositing the corpse in the hedge back.

View attachment 724656 Anyway, the Univega with new bar tape. View attachment 724657 Only the second ride out since putting the drop bars on, it feels a little stretched but still comfortable, maybe I'll flip the stem back the proper way up and see how it goes. I still got 83 feet of climbing in even though the ride was only a mile.

Hi, Tell the Police responsible for wildlife in your area, they will get that moved. Its very sad.

Windle

Über Member
Hi, Tell the Police responsible for wildlife in your area, they will get that moved. Its very sad.

I don't think the mesh had been set up as a trap, it was just the end of a roll left beside the fence, but was quite narrow. I think the owl dropped down into it but couldn't get his wings stretched wide enough to fly out, and unfortunately I don't think they can climb like parrots despite similar body architecture.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I don't think the mesh had been set up as a trap, it was just the end of a roll left beside the fence, but was quite narrow. I think the owl dropped down into it but couldn't get his wings stretched wide enough to fly out, and unfortunately I don't think they can climb like parrots despite similar body architecture.

Even if its not intentionally a trap, it needs moving so another bird or any other wildlife doesn't die.

a.twiddler

Veteran
18/3/21
Shopping trip on the Spirit.
To town and back.

A sunny day, would have liked to go for a longer ride but the jobs to do were piled up. Lucky to get out on the bike at all, methinks. So, the Spirit recumbent bike, all set to go, Garmin attached.

Out the back gate, wended my way to Swanlow lane and the uphill traffic lights. More traffic than usual, nevertheless got into the righthand lane and turned off for the short route to the town centre. Still a decent downhill. Eased on the brakes at the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill and got there just as the traffic started moving. Through the lights, left shortly afterwards to supermarket No 1 and chained up to a pillar.

Back out again to cross the road then right on a pavement cycle path, left round the corner then along a white lined cyclepath on the road until I turned up the pavement again past a supermarket car park. I cycled slowly as though there weren’t many about, the ones that were probably expected passing cyclists to be at eye level rather than waist level. Cycling under the radar has its drawbacks.

Locked up, dived into supermarket No 2. Soon out again, unlocked, down the pavement to the road then turned off for the leisure centre. Followed a path to the road behind, left then right on to Gladstone St. The gradual slope steepened and I felt the weight of the shopping holding me back. I changed down and twirled onwards, soon through a traffic chicane and on to Townfields Road, over the top and changing up again. After being held up by a queue of cars at the lights I rolled on to a T junction, then a few ups and downs arrived at my back gate.

A bit of a rush job today, wasn’t able to relax and enjoy the trip as I usually did. Still, a ride is a ride.

Distance 3.11 miles. Max speed 22.2 mph, Average speed 7 mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 120 ft. According to Bikehike.

a.twiddler

Veteran
3/4/24
Tiny Ride Today
Town Centre, Library, Shopping and back on the Spirit recumbent.

Forecast for rain later but it was dry though overcast. I’d been itching to get out on a bike to expand my mileage but for the last week the opportunity and the weather hadn’t coincided. I got my stuff together and set off through the back gate. Once on the road it was pleasant, heading for the uphill traffic lights on Swanlow Lane. Right at the lights, then next left and downhill through a mini roundabout to turn right at the next lights. Keeping pace with the slow traffic to go through the next mini roundabout and left at the following one. Left again into a service area then a dismount to take a shortcut through the precinct. Once through, hopped on again to cross another service area to the Library. As I locked up outside some raindrops began to fall. Maybe it was just a brief shower.

When I came out later, light rain was steadily falling. Ho hum. I zipped up my books, unlocked and set off back to the precinct. When I reached the exit to the service area I came to a halt at a T junction with a tall SUV blocking my view to the left when I wanted to turn right. It was a bit nadgery getting out with the intermittent traffic from some traffic lights on the left but I got out unscathed. Right at the next roundabout, right at the following one into a supermarket car park keeping a healthy distance from the cars, then to my usual barrier to lock up.

After a spot of shopping, out into the drizzle to load up again and wheel the bike down the pavement past random passers by. I hopped back on at the bottom to follow a pavement cycle path to turn right at the next junction. Soon afterwards I crossed over and rode along the road until I came to the entrance to another supermarket car park. I turned left here, knowing that there was a short path that linked to terraced streets behind the car park, with a bit more shelter from the rain.

I zig zagged through the streets climbing steadily until I reached Swanlow Lane where I turned left.

Soon I was stopped behind some traffic at Townfields Road lights; then the swoop down ready to get up my uphill turn off. A little later I was at my back gate. A pleasant ride despite the rain. With my waterproofs it would have been no problem to go for a longer ride.

Distance 3.45 miles, Max 22.3 mph, Average 7mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 130ft. According to Bikehike.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Tiny ride today
8/4/24
Shopping trip on the Linear LWB Recumbent-Town Centre.

After pumping up the tyres of my little garage tribe last week I came to the Linear a day or so later to find the rear tyre flat. Thinking it was just Presta valve-itis I pumped it up but a day or two later it was soft again. I took the wheel off but couldn’t find any leaks. There were a couple of patches on the tube already so I took it off and binned it. It had been on there for four years and I didn’t trust the valve any more. No obvious sharp points in the tyre so I put a new long valve tube in. It has a deep rim which originally had a long Schrader valved tube in but at the time I fitted a new tyre I was only able to get hold of Presta tubes with the longer valve. I’m trying to standardise on Schrader having long ago given up my sporty pretensions and the belief that Presta is wot proper cyclists use, innit. The Linear back wheel and the steel tourer are the last holdouts for Presta in my garage.

Anyhow, the wind and the rain of the last few days are having a rest so since I had to nip out to the shops I decided to check out the Linear while I was at it.

Having negotiated the various obstacles between the garage and the back gate I climbed aboard and prepared to launch. Hard to believe that I’ve not been out on the Linear since the end of January, yet everything was just so familiar.

All the controls fell easily to hand, and lift off happened uneventfully. I just had to stop after a few yards to tweak the mirror, then away we went. Onwards to Swanlow Lane, to the uphill traffic light where I was stopped. Setting off again along Swanlow Lane, rolling easily, suspecting a sneaky following wind which would extract its penalty later. Not much traffic but I stopped again at a red light on the A54 roundabout. Finally getting into high gear on the long downhill only to have to ease on the brakes at a pedestrian crossing light, didn’t have to put a foot down but lost speed as the traffic got going again. Rolled to a halt again at the cyclists’ advance line waiting to turn right at the town centre lights. Finally on to the pavement cycle path and left en route to my regular supermarket, left again through some bollards then waited for a crowd of shoppers to go by. I was locking up to the familiar barrier when one of the trolley guys grumbled about getting his trolleys past. I parked tight up against the barrier. Not been a problem previously. Just have to park somewhere else next time. Out again with my shopping, moved the bike to another spot to load up.

Across the car park, left at the exit roundabout, right at the next one into Dingle Lane, over the speed humps then across the pavement at the end. Into Gladstone St, uphill, passing a newly widened spot where the previously existing traffic chicane used to be. Fresh black tarmac and a speed hump now took its place. Uneventfully on to Townfields Road where the anticipated headwind had gone AWOL, not that I was complaining. There was a queue stopped at the Swanlow Lane traffic lights so I took an illicit shortcut over the pavement to turn left. The pedestrian crossing warning was bleeping, stopping traffic, so I nipped on to the road while the coast was clear to get up speed for my uphill turn off. I am a terrible example to the young and impressionable amongst you out there. I urge you not to follow my example!

Soon I was rolling downhill to my back gate. I need to be getting more miles in. Hopefully the weather will improve from now on and I can stretch them out a bit.

3.24 miles. Max 22.7. Average 7mph. According to Garmin.
Ascent 115ft. According to Bikehike.

Windle

Über Member
Finally a chance of a short evening ride not blighted by wazzing rain or howling gale. I've recently swapped the stem of my Giant XTC4 and Univega round as the Univega felt a bit too stretched out after I'd put drop bars on it and the Giant has always felt a bit too short. Job jobbed the other night I sneaked a ride on the Univega and all was well. Tonight was the Giant's turn, just the usual route down Scotland Lane and along the railway line, up the farm track to the road and down to the railway line path, whence I retraced the route. It was a fairly sunny evening but the wind was still freezing, blowing from the north again. The bike feels better for the 35mm longer stem (it's original stem is now on the Trek 810). The farm track that runs almost parallel to the railway which is lower down the fell side.

GOPR0901.JPG
It's surprising how quickly the tracks are drying out, warmer temperatures and undoubtedly the wind has helped, this was a dark brown bog last week.
GOPR0903.JPG
Retaining wall in the deep part of the railway cutting.
GOPR0904.JPG
Your bike in front of some water? Most definitely! This must be a small field drain but its been a flood for ages, I can't recall ever seeing it as bad as it's been recently and it's dried out in the past few days.
GOPR0906.JPG
Back home after a 5.6 mile trundle with a couple of hundred feet of climbing. I still love this bike, my first proper mountain bike, which I bought off a work colleague in late 2009 and despite a few niggles (it'd probably benefit from a new drivetrain) it rides really well and is surprising light for an aluminium frame.

Top Bottom