Tips for a trip through northern Italy, Slovenia and Austria

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

Last season we went from Tarvisio (Italy) to Vienna passing from Slovenia and going back through Salzburg. We travelled along several interesting routes like eurovelo 9, eurovelo 6, eurovelo 7, thermenradweg, alpe adria radweg, murradweg, drauradweg, donauradweg. If you need some helps we are available for every kind of information and gps tracks

IMG_20150727_182309.jpg

where are the tips?

OP
OP
cyclingovereurope
To me one of the best routes in eastern Austria, coming from Bad Radkersburg to Vienna, skirting the border with Slovnia, then with Hungary, is the Thermenradweg/eurovelo 9. It's a path less known, but really it has a lot of positive aspects.
The landscape is amazing, in the first stretch we travel among vineyards, with possibility to drink regional wines. Each 30/40 kilometres there are thermal towns like Loipersdorf, Bad waltersdorf or Bad Erlach where to enjoy a rest. For sure, the path is not boring, with the continous up and down on the hills and with the climb to Monichkirchen From where starts the descend to the wonderful Vienna
IMG_20150726_123726.jpg

Who is interested to travel along these routes, can ask to me if he needs helps

OP
OP
cyclingovereurope
We're doing Caen to Zagreb this summer, apart from crossing into Germany somewhere near Strasbourg we haven't got any firm plans. Any suggestions?

If you come from Munich you can go to Salzburg, therefore along Alpe Adia Radweg up to Villach. The Alpe adria is quite easy, except some stretch near Bad Gastein. From there, along the drauaradweg, you can reach Maribor, then Zagreb. The drauaradweg from Dravograd to Maribor is really nice but not too easy, with several short hard climbs, infact the river flows on a tight valley and the route runs up and down on the hills (you can see the gps on my website). Otherwise (but I think is too long) you can take the eurovelo 6 up to Vienna, then take the eurovelo 9 up to Maribor, therefore go to Zagreb

capture.png

Lee Firman

Hi Cyclingovereurope,

I'm looking at cycling the Eurovelo 9 route later this year, probably the full route from Poland to Croatia.

Please can you tell me what kind of terrain the EV9 route is (i.e. tarmac, gravel), and do you know if there is an elevation profile of this route available?

Thanks

We travelled along several interesting routes like eurovelo 9, eurovelo 6, eurovelo 7, thermenradweg, alpe adria radweg, murradweg, drauradweg, donauradweg. If you need some helps we are available for every kind of information and gps tracks

View attachment 309829

Top Bottom