Tips for touring in the rain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I rode from oxford to St nazaire in th rain last week - good waterproofs, overshoes and lots of plastic bags - I find my hands get very cold after two or three hours in heavy rain - not really found a solution - last resort is fishermans neoprene gloves with liners

Davidc

Guru
andrew_s said:

Can I have the witch from under the witch umbrella please?

psmiffy said:
I rode from oxford to St nazaire in th rain last week - good waterproofs, overshoes and lots of plastic bags - I find my hands get very cold after two or three hours in heavy rain - not really found a solution - last resort is fishermans neoprene gloves with liners
Don't laugh, but I have had good results from builder's rubber gloves, as found for 99p in your local builder's merchants. The perfect winter glove for the impoverished.

andym

Über Member
jags said:
is there such a thing as a warm waterproof jacket. when you get soaked you also get very cold ,so if anyone know's of a way to keep warm and dry.please share. ...
i hope somebody has an answer to this question.

No such thing as a warm waterproof jacket (although a decent jacket will prevent wind-chill - which is worse if you are wet). A good-quality jacket will also reduce the build-up of condensation.

My top tip would be merino wool base and medium layers as these are (IME) warmer when wet than synthetics. It's probably also a good idea to keep a spare top in a plastic bag so you can put it on when you get chilled.

chris667-yehh ive been there - in new zealand i bought a large pair of yellow gauntlets from an agricultural shop, they were of the of the bovine inspection sort and kept my hands relatively warm but the condensation in them started to rot my hands after two or three days wear in continuos rain

inaperfectworld

i take a small folding umbrella as oyu can shelter under it when you got those heavy storms and you can also use it to walk to pub if it's chucking it down in the evening.

OP
OP
BalkanExpress
Many thanks to all, I'm back and not too damp.

We were lucky in that there was rain on four days out of 5 but only on a couple of days did it really pour down and then only for an hour or so.

I managed with midlength sealskinz and baggies (it was not cold so the legs did not suffer. ss jersey, lycra armwarmers (dhb from wiggle) and my convertible jacket. Again it not rainning for hours on end meant I could use the jacket as a gilet and balance being wet from the rain against being wet from the condensation.

helmet with Z cotton cap underneath and, yes, shower cap on top when it was really bucketing down (just remember not to cover all the rear vents;))

btsidigtts

Wet? Only one answer I'm afraid...

You have to spend some money to purchase good leggings (approx. £50) and overshoes (approx. £20) with a good light but waterproof and bright jacket (£60ish). I know this adds to the weight you'll carry on good days but even in warmer climes when you get soaked hour after hour and perhaps day after day you will become cold and dare I say it 'miserable' Also have a small towel to dry you head when you reach your detination. If you have decent Vaude (?German made)or Orieb waterproof pannier bags you will not need to worry about inner plastic bags for your stuff (I have used them in serious flooding rain often, with no problem).
The rain will not dampen your spirits if you have the knowledge that you are perfectly dry (the reason wicking leggings are expensive) underneath.
Finally I have tried capes but if you get windy and rainy conditions then life gets even more difficult.:smile:

Top Bottom