Tips on repairing Shimano brakes on my Bianchi cortina?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lorena2020

Hello!

Really glad to have joined this community. I am seeking advice on how to repair my bike - Bianchi Cortina with Shimano Brakes. I feel really silly this happen - didn't notice the handle bars were backwards and when I walked my bike forward, I heard something snap. The left brake (line? cord?) in some area seems to have snapped or broken its connection to the left brake. Now, when I press on the brake, nothing retracts and there is no tension. Do you think this could be a straightforward home repair? Any tips would be really appreciated! I use this bike pretty much every day and I'm hoping to jump back on soon. The right brake still works but not as well and it feels odd to rely on that one.

Attachments

• IMG_8986.jpeg
    IMG_8986.jpeg
    73.4 KB · Views: 20

Drago

Legendary Member
Greetings Lorena,

It sounds as if the cable has snapped, or possibly wasn't secured properly at the other end. Follow the cable down to the other end and have a nose. Take a photo and show us if that helps.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Do not ride relying on the single remaining brake (rear) except to 'limp' a short distance home. It is difficult to tell what damage you've done but it will be easy and quick for your local bike shop to repair. Brakes are a key safety item and from your OP, I reckon you're best off getting a competent person to do it this time, and at the same time resolve to understand how your brakes and their cables work (and can then be replaced and adjusted by you).

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Quite right @Mr Celine , a senior moment. :wacko:
I notice nobody has told the OP how to change the cable yet :whistle: Perhaps I should make amends for my dreadful faux pas by addressing this with a video.
The outer casing might not need changing if it’s in good condition and not too old:
You can get away with just an Allen key (buy a multi tool which incorporates them, it’ll always come in useful) . You likely won’t have a cable cutter so just loop the excess cable until you can get to your LBS who can snip it for you and fit an end cap.

View: https://youtu.be/8dCZZ1kzTd8

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lorena2020

Hi all! Thank you tons for the advice. I finally have gotten a chance to focus on repairing my bike (Too much work lately). I started taking apart the brake near the handle but then i looked down and saw where I believe a piece has been broken. I've attached some pictures. Do you guys have any advice on how to replace this piece? Thank you!
IMG_0479.jpeg

Badger_Boom

Über Member
I’m no v brake expert but it looks like lack of tension on the cable or something has allowed the noodle (curvy metal tube) to jump out of the holder (metal bracket with holes on the left in your picture).

Reactions: C R

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
As others have said, it looks as though the cable has detached from the mechanism.

This is *not* any great problem; it's actually a design feature to allow easy removal of the wheel.

You need to squeeze the arms of the brake mechanism together and clip the cable back into place. Having a close look at the rear brake should reveal how it is meant to be.

Carefully check it once back in position, its possible to be "not quite right" and pop out again.

Alternatively, as this is literally a ten second job for someone with experience of it, any half reputable bike shop will fix it on the spot without charge.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

The end cap of the “metal cable guide“ (called a noodle} has become detached from the “cable hook unit”. As above squeeze the arms together to reattach, if that’s difficult undo the cable clamp bolt to release the cable and try again While pulling the cable end.

Top Bottom