Tips, suggestions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Novice Cyclist

Hello All! SO i'm looking to get some info on purchasing a new road bike. I'm currently a trainer who is very fit and new to cycling, I currently have a road bike but a very cheap caliber of bike LOL! (Vilano R2). I am fully aware that i need a better bike as I've joined a group e been riding friends who h ave been riding for about a year and I always fall wayyy behind and I feel as though I'm pedaling 10 times harder and still can't keep up. Any suggestions as to what kind of bike would best fit me and my needs? Sorry for the long drawn out story lol

My budget is about $2500

vickster

Legendary Member
What bikes do your friends ride? That would be a good place to start as well as your local bike dealers, to try a few out in your budget. Really you have the choice between a racy head down geometry or a more relaxed upright one, often referred to as endurance or sportive, on,y you can really know which will suit you. Presumably as a trainer you're pretty flexible so either should work depending on which you find comfortable.
At your budget, you’re probably looking at a high level aluminium or carbon frame with a 105 or maybe Ultegra groupset. Lots of big brands in the US, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Scott, Fuji to name a few. At any given price point, spec is probably similar although Specialized tend to give you a lower spec for your buck than the smaller brands 👍

OP
OP
N

Novice Cyclist

What bikes do your friends ride? That would be a good place to start as well as your local bike dealers, to try a few out in your budget. Really you have the choice between a racy head down geometry or a more relaxed upright one, often referred to as endurance or sportive, on,y you can really know which will suit you. Presumably as a trainer you're pretty flexible so either should work depending on which you find comfortable.
At your budget, you’re probably looking at a high level aluminium or carbon frame with a 105 or maybe Ultegra groupset. Lots of big brands in the US, Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Scott, Fuji to name a few. At any given price point, spec is probably similar although Specialized tend to give you a lower spec for your buck than the smaller brands 👍
Thank you much for this very helpful info. Most of them ride S-works, felt, and Trek currently and 1 or 2 Cannondale's. I have been considering the Trek Domano Model but as you stated its probably best I go into my local dealer to try some out.

Top Bottom