Tire tube issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Old rider

I have this Fuji bike with 622x17 rims and have used 700x28 tires for years on it. After replacing a set with folding tires, not the beaded ones, the tube blew up. Part of the tire was pushed out of the rim even though the pressure was only 95lbs and the tire was rated for 105psi. While writing this the generous company issued a return label for the tires and I returned them! My question is what went wrong? I had the tires inflated overnight to about 50psi just to check them out and make sure there was no tire offset from the rim. Everything was fine until it exploded. I plan on buying new beaded ones from now on. Thanks

raggydoll

Über Member
Did it explode in front of you or had it exploded when you checked on it the next day?

I can only guess that the tyre wasn't seated properly on the rim which allowed the tube to sneak out of the tyre and explode under the pressure. But who knows!

OP
OP
O

Old rider

It happened while I was there. I thought the same thing but there was 50psi in there while I visually checked the seating along the rim and it was consistent all around. A beaded tire seating problem shows itself as soon as you pump any pressure into it from my experience. That's why I'll continue with beaded tires. Thanks

Punkawallah

Über Member
I usually apply talcum powder to the tube before fitting - apparently it helps to prevent pinching. Have not had the problem since doing this. YMMV, T&CA.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It can take hours for a tight tyre to pop off the rim if a tube is trapped under the bead. With difficult tyres, inflate very slightly - just enough for the tube to keep its shape - then work around both sides and the whole circumference, squeezing the tyre inwards to ensure you can't see any tube. Only then inflate properly.

Remote possibilities:

Tyre has kinked steel bead. Common on Schwalbe Marathons, for some reason.

Rim is splayed from impact.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom