Tired of tight tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enw.nigel

What Ian rauk says. Valve bit first then make sure the bead of the tyre is in the well in the centre of the wheel. Push the tyre over the rim as far as it will go then go back to the opposite side and push the bead of the tyre into the well of the wheel and work your way back round and force a bit more of the bead over the rim. You may need to go through this process 2,3,4 times depending how tight the tyre is. There is a video on youtube somewhere showing you the technique. Follow this technique and you will never need tyre levers to put a tyre on.

Enw.nigel

http://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/4602/how-to-get-a-very-tight-tire-back-on-the-rim
Found it. I don't bother using the ties and the technique works a treat.

I start at the valve (I don't really know why, I just do) and apply talc, it seems to work for me but new tyres are always a bulgar Lejogger, touch wood my Kyrlion's have never had a p'ture but I've had them off & on again no problem. The tightest tyres I've had are the 4000s (badly blistered my thumbs but I was in a rush) with any tyres that I've found tight before (including previous 4000s and 4seasons), I've went away made a cup of tea and they've just popped on, on my return and more importantly in the case of a roadside emergency, they've come off and back on easily once they've lost that newnish factor (which they do within a few hours).

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Valve last, there's no logic to installing it first.

Another vote for valve first here! I find it is easier to get it in situ while there is plenty of slack rather than trying to feed it in at the end when everything is damn tight, especially with smaller profile tyres and long presta valves. once the valve is in place don't pull it to locate it in the rim (which may lead to the tube being pinched by the tyre beads) but push the valve into the tyre so the tube is pushed into the tyre void and away from the beads.

Another vote for valve first here! I find it is easier to get it in situ while there is plenty of slack rather than trying to feed it in at the end when everything is damn tight, especially with smaller profile tyres and long presta valves. once the valve is in place don't pull it to locate it in the rim (which may lead to the tube being pinched by the tyre beads) but push the valve into the tyre so the tube is pushed into the tyre void and away from the beads.
Eh.

screenman

Legendary Member
The valve last why? because unlesss you push the valve up inside the tyre it stops the tyre from sitting in the middle of the rim.

As for that video, check out the damage the straps are doing on that nice new shiny rim, in 48 years of fitting tyre I have seldom found the need for straps or levers when fitting valve last. Mind you I might just have super strong thumbs.

Top Bottom