Tirreno Adriatico, 6-10 March 2013 [Spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That ride from Phinney has just made him one of my favourite riders

I liked him anyway but my respect has increased

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-time-cut-as-tirreno-adriatico-gruppetto-quits

The Couch

Über Member
Catenaccio is the ultra-defensive counter-attacking style ... No one plays catenaccio any more. d.

Well... you could argue that Greece did it in Euro 2004 and Italy in the World Cup 2006 :smile:

Anyway, the stage seemed great (for spectators) and I believe that with better weather the wheels would have had more grip and it would also be nicer/better for the cyclists. But the organizers comments make it unlikely that we will see this stage again.

Sagan seems indeed practically unbeatable for MSR, I don't see any favourite dropping him on either the climb or descent of the Poggio and whoever is left at the finish will be less of a sprinter then him. The only scenario, I see Sagan being beat, is that every team refuses to do any work catching a (relatively big) early breakaway group and that Cannondale can't do it on it's own. And although it doesn't sound pretty interesting scenario to watch, it might be preferable over seeing a couple of people trying to get away from Sagan, quickly realising it's useless and a select group ("of favourites") being brought to the slaughter at the finish.

At least in the breakaway-scenario, we wouldn't know who would be strongest
Berdos, De Negri, Groezdev, Laengen, Mørkøv, Oroz, Ji, Pagani and Suárez were the group last year, I would think that out of a group of these type of cyclists nobody would have an idea who could go furthest :smile:

The way he destroyed everyone on stage 3 (i think) of Tour of Oman was jaw dropping.
Agreed, but for me personally, it was his performance in the Strade Bianchi that had me thinking... this guy has actually made another significant step forward, who is going to beat this guy (in MSR) :wacko:

400bhp

Guru
Catenaccio is the ultra-defensive counter-attacking style espoused by Internazionale coach Helenio Herrera in the 1960s. Impressively effective but not always the most thrilling spectacle. (Sounds familiar?)

The thing about catenaccio is that it only works if the opposition behave predictably. In the 1970s, to counter catenaccio, Dutch side Ajax invented Total Football, a fluid attacking style in which players constantly switch positions. Football with panache.

In the 1972 European Cup Final, Ajax beat Inter 2-0, Johan Cruyff scoring both goals.

No one plays catenaccio any more.

d.

Sky's version is probably catchemuppio.

I'll get me coat :whistle:

beastie

Guru
Talking of Hardknott... wouldn't it be great to see the pros race over the route of the Fred Whitton Challenge?
Yes, a proper Mountain stage for the TOB. HardKnott, Wrynose, The Struggle would all be great, but best of all would be a MTF up Great Dun Fell after an up and down day. It won't happen though unless I win Euromillians and pay for it myself.

Good efforts all round, stage win for Tony Martin and Nibali takes the overall with room to spare.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I'm not sure why he was so far behind the other stiffs though. Did he have a mechanical?
On re-reading, it looks like the group he was with all pulled out which left him stranded.

Here's his twitter feed from yesterday afternoon - read from the bottom up...

phinney.jpg

(His dad is Davis Phinney, former pro cyclist.)

Enjoyed this race. Had thought that Sky was just going to boss the big races. Hopefully, if this result is anything to go by, it will be far more unpredictable than that!

Glad the cycling is back on the telly...........MSR next. ^_^

Sagan looks like a good shout. Only a crazy person would bet against him.

The Couch

Über Member
Outside bet on Hushovd maybe. Seems to be returning to form and was in the 2nd group on the road.
No, I can't really see it... Don't get me wrong, seeing Hushovd back in (some sort of) shape is great for the fans and the races, however I don't see Hushovd beating Sagan in a sprint. Actually according to your logic Roelandts would have a better chance, he was in the same group and was faster at the finish-line than Hushovd.

Top Bottom