Tirreno Adriatico, 6-10 March 2013 [Spoilers]

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
So, will we get to see Cav vs Greipel at last? Two sprint stages for them to have a go at each other.

Froome, Nibali, Evans, Contador, Wiggins and Cunego will all be there. And maybe Rodriguez too?

Should be fun.

d.

tigger

Über Member
Looking forward to this one with that line up. Although I think Wiggins will be at the Volta a Catalunya instead

http://www.teamsky.com/races/0,27631,2013,00.html#month=3

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Hmm, yes. I just realised that the story I read about it is a month old so probably not a reliable guide to who's racing.

Looks like Andy Schleck will be there though. It'll be a real test for Froome.

d.

OP
OP
smutchin

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I was thinking more of Contador (the course looks like it will suit him very well) and the general strength of the field, but you never know! Schleck is a bit of an unknown quantity after last year. Evans already looks better than he did throughout the whole of last year, though, so he'll probably be in the mix. And Nibali has the title to defend.

It'll be a good test for Joe Dombrowski too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'll be amazed if Schleck does any better than turning up but it does look like a good race. Evans will always give his all but I fancy he'll come up just short again. I just hope he gets interviewed as he cracks me up!

beastie

Guru
I'll be amazed if Schleck does any better than turning up but it does look like a good race. Evans will always give his all but I fancy he'll come up just short again. I just hope he gets interviewed as he cracks me up!
If Schleck climbs off his bike again I will nae be surprised. Very weak mentally ATM.

The Couch

Über Member
The team itself (Radioshack-Nissan-Trek) doesn't have big faith in Andy Schleck either:

Philippe Maertens (the press officer) was guest in "de zevende dag" on Belgian tv previous sunday and his translated words - when he was asked about the Schlecks - wore:
"Ai ai ai, do you have a lot of time? Frank is suspended, for sure until mid July somewhere. Andy is currently in a dip, but there is actually no panic. He has had a lot of bad luck last year, he broke his pelvis and so. He had too much down-time and maybe as well not training hard enough in the winter when it was going good. He did ride in Australia and only gave up on the last day. But it's a little bit in his head, that he can't allow himself to be dropped in the first ride of the season or he will go even deeper. But he's now training in Mallorca with a team leader, team staff, medics, mechanics, to give him..euhm".
Interviewer interrupts: "He still has time, right?"
"Yes, of course, he has time, it's not yet the Tour de France, however Andy actually also wants to win Luik Bastenaken Luik. He has a lot of talent and you never know."

So I do get the feeling that even the team itself doesn't really know what to expect (and are perhaps a bit disappointed in his work ethic).

And furthermore nobody really knows what to expect from him, when he is not preparing races and riding them together with his brother. I believe that might be an extra piece of "drive" missing on top of the questionable work ethic.
(Not that I am in any position to question the work ethic of a professional cyclist with his results, since in comparison to a pro cyclist I am an absolutely lazy bastard :smile: but just referentially speaking to the other TdF contenders)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Looks like a stellar line-up from the sprints to the GC. Definitely a stronger field than P-N.
Greipel, Cav, Degenkolb, Ciolek, Goss, Bennati, Bole, Ferrari of the swerve, Sagan - could be interesting.
p.s. Andy S isn't on the start list!

Noodley

I reckon he must have looked at the road.cc fantasy game and saw he was only rated as being worth 3 points, and just gave up...

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Never count Schleck out. In previous years his form has been bad early on in the season and he's come to the TdF with a game face. However saying that, I don't think I ever seen him as bad as he is right now. I think he's maybe a little lost without his brother, as they are so close and have trained and raced together since they were young. Plus the whole pelvis thing has probably put him back at least 18months in form, not to mention seriously knocking his confidence. Maybe 2014 is a more realistic goal for him, and just to use 2013 to get back in form.

Top Bottom