Titanium seatpost

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hello,
The clamping mechanism of my deda carbon seatpost has deteriorated so looks like time to buy a new one but as my bike (PX Tempest) has a titanium frame would it be better to get a titanium seatpost? And is it able to absorb the low level vibration that carbon seems to.
Thanks

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
ok did a bit of reading and it seems a titanium post has much the same vibration absorption as carbon so had a punt on ebay on one from China.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like the Ti post on my CAAD5 (<--- bike in avatar photo). Unfortunately, I forgot to use copper paste when I fitted it to the Al frame so it is now a permanent, unadjustable fixture! I assume that would not happen with Ti in Ti?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I like the Ti post on my CAAD5 (<--- bike in avatar photo). Unfortunately, I forgot to use copper paste when I fitted it to the Al frame so it is now a permanent, unadjustable fixture! I assume that would not happen with Ti in Ti?

Totally the wrong thing to use, the best product is Vaseline/petroleum jelly (ooer missus) ...........completely inert, non conducive and waterproof so it stops any galvanic corrosion

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Do need to put some sort paste as you do with a carbon post?

I don't use anything. I suggest you use nothing at first, wack that thing up tight and see how you go.

Hicky

Guru
Alloy post in my van nic, moved possibly twice in 9 yrs…moved the other day for my lad to use…moved freely…admittedly it is coated in vaseline(that was the closest lubricant I had to hand at the time😉).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Alloy post in my van nic, moved possibly twice in 9 yrs…moved the other day for my lad to use…moved freely…admittedly it is coated in vaseline(that was the closest lubricant I had to hand at the time😉).

Vaseline is the correct thing to use*
as it is totally inert so unlike grease it doesn't promote galvanic corrosion.

* this applies to metal frames and seatposts, if you've got a 'plastic' frame/post then no

Top Bottom