To build or not to build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been given a Pinarello aluminium frame and carbon fork that are probably 10-12 years old. The frame has seen better days (there are quite a few scratches and the decals are peeling). I have a road bike already but really need something that I can cycle to courses/shops etc and not worry about it getting nicked. I'm thinking of building it up to be a workhorse but not sure if it's worth it (we're very skint at the moment). The major problem is that the seatpost has seized. The guy who has given me the frame suggested that I cut it off and get a seatpost post that will fill the remaining diameter . Will this work? Am I going to throw money at something that isn't worth it?

I'll try and post pictures tomorrow when I bring it home if it helps.

Thanks

@biggs682 wondered if you could advise :-)

L14M

Über Member
Get the seatpost sorted out, make it a SS or fixie.. cheap to maintain, simple.. :biggrin:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Easytigers by any miracle is the seatpost set at right height for you ?

if not then it gets fun , i once had same problem and i bought a drill bit the same od as seatpost , then cut seat post off just proud of top of frame and then carfully drilled it out enough so another seat post went in and tightened up enough , lasted a couple of years with no issue at all .

or if you can get a seat post to go inside the stuck one then that should work only 1 way to find out .....

let us now what you decide please

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Aren't you supposed to cut the seatpost and use a hacksaw blade to cut the remaining piece of the post from the inside out to remove it in bits? I would be surprised if you could one to fit inside another or for that matter tighten it up.

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
I'll have a better look tomorrow...I might be very cheeky and ask if I can bring it over to @biggs682 house to see what he thinks if that is possible (I brought over a bike box a few months ago so think I remember where you are)...please say no if you'd rather not be pestered biggs!

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
That would be really cool biggs...I'll give you a shout and let you know :-) As said before I really appreciate it!!!

Top Bottom