To buy a new bike or not?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moonlight

Hello all,

I've just had an 12+ month break from cycling and CC forums, and I must say I'm very glad to be back :biggrin:. I most definitely will be taking my bike to uni next year.

To business, I wish to do a 1-2 week tour around the most aesthetically pleasing areas of Wales this summer. My current bicycle is an entry level Halfords £270 quid jobby from a few years ago but with nearly everything up graded over the years. I spent £110 on wheels about 18 months ago and am confident of their strength, but the saddle is still stock, which is an issue.

Considering 'going really fast' is increasingly less appealing to me, and I foresee tours and commuting taking up 99% of my cycling. Should I:
- attempt to upgrade my existing bike; or just
- buy a touring bicycle (ideal budget £500, potential £800)

Obviously I wish to be price efficient where possible, but also understand that my 23mm tyres are probably unsuitable for touring, and my stock saddle most definitely is.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks chums! :sad:

Edit: I should probably add that the mate I'm touring with has a standard £450 tourer and that we would be sticking entirely to roads.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Would you still be hanging onto the old bike for taking back to university?

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Yes my friend, more than likely.

Edit: I should say that I have considered selling my existing bike so I could extend my tourer budget and use that for commuting during term time, but I study in London and I'm not confident of the safety of any bike worth over £300... especially as I live in Charlton :biggrin:.

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

Thanks Simon, nice bike! Would you say then that modifying my existing bike is unwise then?

Moonlight said:
Thanks Simon, nice bike! Would you say then that modifying my existing bike is unwise then?

I dont know which bike you have so its hard to give an accurate answer, i'm assuming you have an entry level road bike with drops ? can you fit a rack and panniers to it ? will the frame give you sufficient clearance so that your feet dont hit the panniers ? will the gearing allow you to climb with a load up ? ... if it was me then i would keep the old bike as a commuter and buy the Revolution for touring and weekend rides

Simon

OP
OP
Moonlight

Moonlight

I've decided to bite the bullet and just get a new bike :angry:. Going to close this thread now, thanks all :blush:

Top Bottom