To flag or not?

Do you ride with a flag most of the time?

• Yes, I run a flag

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Nope.

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
If you live!

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Right now, now flag.

After the clocks go back, and I have to ride home from work in the dark, I'll put the flag back on.

What you're saying about recumbents getting more space is true - if drivers can see that it's a recumbent. In the dark on a fast road, the driver sees a rear light, a reflective jacket and not a great deal else.

Put on a fluorescent flag, with more reflective stuff on it, waving about six feet in the air above it as well, and it seems to make drivers take a second look at it and be a bit wary of it.

Fiona N

Veteran
arallsopp said:
I guess motorists are just like horses in that regard. If they see something they don't understand they assume its a predator. :tongue:

LOL

I used to use a flag on the Windcheetah but now the rear light bracket means it doesn't fit and I've never got around to fitting the new fitting ;)
The flag bracket on the rear carrier of the Speedmachine is obscured by the small rack bag (really good design on the part of HPV there) so there's no flag on the SpM either.

The SpM feels high enough not to need one and the Windcheetah has such a presence on the road that a flag seems unnecessary (plus I used to break the aerials on a regular basis popping under low barriers ;))

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Uncle Phil said:
Put on a fluorescent flag, with more reflective stuff on it, waving about six feet in the air above it as well

When considering which shapes attract the most attention, I'd say a stencil of this would be good.

Gatso.gif

Am darn tempted to cut one out of a Respro Hi Viz Black Diamond Sticker sheet, and mount it on the seat back. Black on black baby ;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
On the visibility front, a couple of years ago I had some tinsel on the sticky part of my flag. When Mrs Uncle Phil borrowed it and I overtook her in my van on the way home from work I was astonished at how attention-grabbing the tinsel was in the headlights.

The downside is that tinsel really freaks out horses.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
With my tailbox, reflective/neon jackets are completely hidden from the rear, and mostly hidden from teh front by the tiller and my legs.

PaulM

Guru
Short flag for now

I think for urban riding it's a good idea to have a flag which is at the height of car windows. Then car drivers know where you are when they are along side you, and might see you when reversing. On the Speed I am conscious that my head is (just) below the top of car doors. I'm using the top half of an ICE flag. The flag is only about 4" wide and relatively stiff, and doesn't flap much, so probably doesn't add much air resistance. Also it is reflective which should help with night time use.

On undulating country lanes there may be a case for a longer flag to be visible in the dips.

Even without a flag, there is more chance of being seen and noticed on a recumbent trike then on an upwrong.

I had no problem without the flag even though I was riding mainly in town among traffic, (I had a Schlumpf drive to deliver), but saying that I think a flag is a good idea when in traffic as you are often hidden by other vehicles.

betty swollocks

large member
I have a Hurricane and I used to ride with fluorescent streamers: purple, pink, blue, orange, green etc. on the end of a whip aerial. My gay next door neighbour asked me out on the basis of this because they apparently, are the mardi gras colours.
The streamers/whip aerial came off pretty damn quick and I have not perceived any diminution of my visibility to drivers.

col

Legendary Member
I dont use a flag on my bike,but i can see the benefit a low recumbant or trike would get from it.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Col, your opinion, whatever it is, is useless and irrelevant to the poll, since to the best of my knowledge you don't have a recumbent.

col

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Col, your opinion, whatever it is, is useless and irrelevant to the poll, since to the best of my knowledge you don't have a recumbent.

Sorry i didnt realise it was for recuments only,i thought it was just a safety question:blush:

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Oh, I'm sorry I came across so harshly, you didn't deserve that. It's no excuse, but I've got manflu and am feeling very tired and grumpy and had a busy weekend of work.

Top Bottom