to flash or be constant!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Location
Swansea
so the morning s are now dark when i set off to work, so on go the lights, but i got thinking, should they be in flashing mode or fully on just like a torch?
i have both front and rear on flash, i may be right in doing so or i maybe wrong to have them in this mode?
whats your views?
 
Front solid, rear flashing, as I need to see where I am going and I would prefer the drivers approaching from behind to understand that I am there from as far away as possible.
 

Arch

Married to Night Train
Location
Salford, UK
Both. Have a set on constant, and some back up blinkies on flash. You can get sets for a few quid, the sort that take a button battery and strap on with an elastic loop, so they fit and come off really easily, and take up next to no room in a bag or pocket.

Once I have my winter bike out, I'll have constant dynamo lights, a battery set on flash, and some little back ups too. The more, the merrier.
 

the_mikey

Legendary Member
On my ride last night, I started out in daylight but it progressively darkened to night during the ride. I had a flashing light on my handlebars and a helmet light on constant. When I needed more visibility I went for constant light and then even more light from a second handlebar mounted light during a very dark section of my ride.
 

gavintc

Legendary Member
Location
Southsea
Both for me as well. I tend to have a flashing red and white light on my helmet and steady lights fitted to the bike.
 
Like others have said, both. It cover more bases, most drivers are alerted more by flashing lights but folk can judge distances better with a solid light. You also see better with a solid light. My strategy in summer when chances are I won't get caught in the dark much is to only carry one set and they're used on flashing but in the witer or I know its going to be dark, I'll use at least 2 set (solid/flashing) but sometimes I'll have more and modify them for really dark sections (more on solid than flashing).
 

Tigerbiten

Legendary Member
Both for me as well.

I tend to have both of my fronts constant, so they light where the front wheels are going to go.
I did have a set of flashing Reelights on the front, but they wore out after a year.

On the back, one constant and the other flashing.
 

2Loose

Legendary Member
Both, certainly at the rear. Flash to be noticed by, solid so that they can judge my distance.
On the front I normally run flash in a built up area with street lighting, just so I stand out from all the other light pollution.
 
so the morning s are now dark when i set off to work, so on go the lights, but i got thinking, should they be in flashing mode or fully on just like a torch?
i have both front and rear on flash, i may be right in doing so or i maybe wrong to have them in this mode?
whats your views?

Well you don't want to rely on a single light on the back just incase it fails (maybe you won't even notice).

So 2- one flashing one static.

Brightest one flashing to save batteries (or which ever has the longest battery life static).
 

CharlesF

Legendary Member
Location
Glasgow
As everyone says, both. I have flashing front and rear helmet light. Two up front one shing constant on the road, the other flashing; same the rear, plus an extra flashing one on the pannier to give me width.
 

taxing

Guru
My question is, normal flashing or rave flashing? I just got a new set of lights and they've got a whole raft of different flashing settings, including a really fast one.
 
Top Bottom