To flash or not

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

subaqua

What’s the point
one flash one steady on the front

one steady on the rear on the bike and a flash on my rucksack.

oh and the freebie LED flashers from cycling active on my jacket

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

I know it sounds silly but I like to have the hope on solid as it's so bright at night, what's the point buying such a bright light to have it on flash? I think it drowns out the little cateye opticube though which is on flash, though it's a good back up for the odd occasion the hope goes to sleep.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I know it sounds silly but I like to have the hope on solid as it's so bright at night, what's the point buying such a bright light to have it on flash? I think it drowns out the little cateye opticube though which is on flash, though it's a good back up for the odd occasion the hope goes to sleep.

I have my hope vision 1 on flash most of the time. But thats because my other light is a magicshine MJ-808.

I saw someone with the magicshine today on flash, and it's fracking annoying. I lave mine on the second brightness setting which is around 300 lumens until i get to poorly lit roads.

I have my hope vision 1 on flash most of the time. But thats because my other light is a magicshine MJ-808.

Sorry to highjack this thread but I'm looking at replacing my cateye which let me down the other morning and you seem to have both of the lights I was considering. How long do you get out of each light on one charge? Also have you had any problems with the Hope cutting out suddenly? Is there any warning with the Magicshine when the battery runs low? I really need a light which will be reliable for at least three hours on one charge.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Sorry to highjack this thread but I'm looking at replacing my cateye which let me down the other morning and you seem to have both of the lights I was considering. How long do you get out of each light on one charge? Also have you had any problems with the Hope cutting out suddenly? Is there any warning with the Magicshine when the battery runs low? I really need a light which will be reliable for at least three hours on one charge.

Totally dependent on which setting you use. The hope will last a working week where as the magicshine will need to be charged each day to make sure it doesn't run dry.
Magicshine vs Hope Vision 1 for power, the magicshine wins hands down. It has more flood and the beam is just as bright if not brighter at the focus point. The only downside for me with the hope is the fact that the flood is too narrow and it can't do two jobs at once. Where as my Magicshine will light up the road and make me visible to on coming car drivers.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Back - one flash, one steady.

Front - two steady. If attached to handlebars they move so much anyway that you partly get a flashing effect without trying. Also one can't flash, and the other does so at such a high frequency I worry about photo-sensitive epileptics.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I like one flashing and one steady one front and rear. I also have a little dangly flashing light under my saddle as an "extra" and a couple of wrist bands on my right arm with flashing LED's for turning right.

I used to have flashing pedal lights and a flashing light on the back of my helmet but have abandoned both of those as overkill!

I make sure that steady light is a good bright one and don't worry too much about the flashing one.

I have asked a lot of drivers and they say that they really single out the flashing lights as a bike and I think that's a good thing?

As for who gets noticed the most - well the other day I was cycling down the canal and there was something very very VERY strange coming towards me - really bright white light and then what seemed like about 4 feet above it another really bright white light. It looked like a giant or something was coming towards me on the towpath and the lights were sooooo bright that I couldn't see what they were attached to!

It unnerved me so much that I actually pulled over and waited for this strange anomaly to go past!

When it did I realised it was a cyclist with a helmet light and a front light - really freaked me out!!! That was V.noticable! LOL

redjedi

Über Member
I used to use my Hope 1 on flash for my commutes, but for most of this winter I've been using it on constant.

I find that I've had a lot less vehicles pull out of side roads or try to beat me onto a roundabout. I assume it's because they can judge my speed a lot better and realise I'm not just pootling along.

Same for the rear, constant during the dark commutes but flash when it starts to get lighter and I just want them to notice me.

ACS

Legendary Member
I too have taken to using my Ay-Ups in 'see me' flashing mode up until the hours of darkness. I have noticed that vehicles emerging from side roads appear to be more 'aware' of my presence, however, I still don't trust any of them. Even had a bus driver wait until I had passed him, normally they just pull out. First time for everything I suppose.

On the back I now have a Smart R2, an upgrade from an R1, which I use in flashing mode and 2 standard 5 LED on steady.

I had a driver pull up along side me late yesterday afternoon (dusk) at a set of traffic lights and shout in my direction that my lights were illegal because he could not get close to my back wheel to overtake because the R2 hurt his eyes.

My reply 'Good, you should never be that close in the first place.'

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF-PytIrF_8[/media]

Top Bottom