To grease, or not to grease

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
im about to change the cables and housing (brakes and gears)
Should I grease the cables, or not?
Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No.

Modern Teflon coated cables do not need greasing and it will only attract the dirt.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I add a few drops of oil into the cable housing. It helps ease friction and with the end caps on the housing, keeps the dirt out.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks for all the input.
Job done now though, minus the grease.... I'll see how they go and if they fail quickly will try grease next time.........
Amazed at how much better the gears are shifting and how much better the brakes feel... will try out properly, on the road, tomorrow.

gilespargiter

Veteran
I tend to find the cables run more smoothly with lube despite the teflon. It also prevents/delays rusting if they don't happen to be stainless steel. Additionally it tends to stop water getting in them and freezing in cold weather - a thing that particularly might happen to the rear derailleur I find.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I'm in the 'no grease/lube' camp now (I used to lightly grease cables but no longer). This advice looks good.
"You want an inner cable to be as slick and free-running as possible. Usually if we want to reduce friction then grease or oil come to our rescue, but where cables are concerned extra lubricants can actually increase the drag inside the housing, and risk attracting dirt and contaminants. Most cables are designed to run clean and dry.
"The key thing to avoid is bends causing unwanted friction, so always look for the smoothest possible curve. Always replace inners and outers together. A new inner cable in an old piece of outer will still not perform as well as it should. Don’t try using greases and oils to free up rough cables. The chances are you will just add to friction troubles. Replace instead."

RichardB

Slightly retro
The rule is normally plain cables - grease, and Teflon-lined cables - no grease/dry. Grease is very good for a plain cable, but implies regular stripping/cleaning/regreasing (like in the old days) to keep them running sweet. Otherwise the movement of the cable will draw muck inside and lead to stiffness and failure. A Teflon cable will get water inside, but as the cable should be stainless steel this should not affect the operation.

I'm a bit old-school, and I have to fight like mad NOT to grease a new cable, but I am learning.

Ajax Bay

Guru
"dry" is more likely to result from the presence of grease to keep the water out.
Why do you think the presence of grease will "keep the water out"? The grease will emulsify with the water and keep it in, and attract muck in (in small amounts) too. Whilst there used to be cables with tinned (galvanized) strands around, the vast majority of cables sold/used nowadays are stainless steel, for example the cheapest one on Wiggle. Some have a 'teflon' coating as well and need no lubrication. Perhaps less expensive cables/outers would benefit from oil (not grease) rubbed into the sections of the cable which will be inside the housing.

Top Bottom