To much for first sportive?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Johnno260

Veteran
Hi I am tempted to try this in the new year, bear in mind I am an utter novice who has never club cycled or done any type of event.

Is this too much for a first time event?

https://www.velopace.com/SpringClassic2017

I am doing 20-25miles with a nice mix of climbs in a time I am happy with, but this is on a Hybrid, I am hoping to have a proper road bike sorted either soon, or the other side of Christmas.

Jimidh

Veteran
Link isn't working - how far is it?

You will surprise yourself how much you will improve if you get out regularly over the winter.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
it's 102 or 66km I am tempted by the 102 don't want to 1/2 job it!

I may ask the LBS if they will do me a deal on the bike if I buy and wear a shop jersey! :-)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
No need for a new bike, the one in your profile pic looks perfect to me. I have a selection of bikes including 2 roadbikes but still often choose the hybrid for long rides depending on weather and what I want to carry on the day. Did 185 miles in a day with two panniers on my hybrid a few weeks ago.

You will also be amazed at how the thrill of the day and riding with other cyclists (I don't mean draughting or chaingangs, just simply being on the road with other riders doing the same thing) will draw you along and the miles will pass much easier than they do when riding alone. Just make sure you ride at a pace you are comfortable with and don't try to keep up with some Jonny Rocket on a mission!

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
No need for a new bike, the one in your profile pic looks perfect to me. I have a selection of bikes including 2 roadbikes but still often choose the hybrid for long rides depending on weather and what I want to carry on the day. Did 185 miles in a day with two panniers on my hybrid a few weeks ago.

You will also be amazed at how the thrill of the day and riding with other cyclists (I don't mean draughting or chaingangs, just simply being on the road with other riders doing the same thing) will draw you along and the miles will pass much easier than they do when riding alone. Just make sure you ride at a pace you are comfortable with and don't try to keep up with some Jonny Rocket on a mission!

Hi ah I will enter then, I am willing to give it a go!

I am in the market for another bike anyway, depending on weather on the day I will have options on what to use, if it's horrible I may opt for the Hybrid and disc brakes anyway, I will probably remove the bar ends as I have heard some events aren't to keen on people using them.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Hi ah I will enter then, I am willing to give it a go!

I am in the market for another bike anyway, depending on weather on the day I will have options on what to use, if it's horrible I may opt for the Hybrid and disc brakes anyway, I will probably remove the bar ends as I have heard some events aren't to keen on people using them.

Bar ends ought to be no problem.

Tri-bars - the ones that stick out frontwards - are a big no-no because you can eviscerate the bloke in front if you crash into him.

OP
OP
Johnno260

Johnno260

Veteran
Bar ends ought to be no problem.

Tri-bars - the ones that stick out frontwards - are a big no-no because you can eviscerate the bloke in front if you crash into him.

ah ok cheers, I am not to keen on bar ends myself, they're a necessary evil with to me, I needed them for additional hand positions as I was having some issues with my hands/wrists, If I use the Hybrid on the day I think I would be tempted to remove them as I can see me snagging someone.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
If you can manage 25 miles (40km) regularly, you can almost certainly manage 102km as a one-off event. And between now and then, you've got plenty of opportunity to increase your mileage anyway. As @I like Skol says, you will get carried away by the sense of occasion and achieve more on an event surrounded by lots of other cyclists than you could on a solo ride.

One caveat I would add is that if you're not used to riding in big bunches, it's worth getting some practice in - in fact, this is just as important as being able to cover the distance. Ideally, find a local club to ride with - that doesn't mean you have to ride with the fast racing types, many clubs organise more moderately paced, sociable rides too. You might ride the sportive as a solo entrant but you will be surrounded by lots of other riders, so it's as well to learn some group riding etiquette. Also sportives often attract a portion of idiots who treat it as a race with no regard for other riders, so if you learn to be confident around large groups, you'll be in a better position to look out for your own safety when you encounter these types.

There's nothing wrong with using a hybrid on a sportive, but the big advantage of a road bike is the drop handlebars, which give you a variety of hand positions (better for comfort on long rides) and allow you to get into a more aerodynamic riding position, therefore faster for the same level of effort. From what you say about your hand comfort problems, you may find drop bars a real benefit. Getting a full bike fit can help with comfort too - many problems are caused by not having the bike set up properly.

I don't know of any specific rules about bar ends on sportives but a lot of events ban aero bars on mass-start events for safety reasons, so bar ends may fall into the same category (it's having pointy bits sticking out of the front of your bike that is considered a problem). (ETA: cross-posted with @Pale Rider )

Last edited:

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I have used bar ends on a hybrid/ flat bar road bike many times. For me the bar ends gave great climbing position when out of the saddle- in fact I really struggle to climb with them on the flat bars.
I've done 100km sportives on it no problem at all- but I cycle commute 35 mile round trip a couple of times a week so very used to the position.
I'd say keep the bar ends so you have that option- the event organisation will not mind one bit.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
If anything, bar ends make a snag less likely.

One of my Ergons careened off a stone wall I managed to clout when an ordinary grip might have snagged and had me off.

I agree with @smutchin about getting a bit of group riding experience beforehand, not least because it will give you some confidence which in turn will make it more likely you will relax and enjoy the ride.

dim

use your existing bike till next year spring/summer and in the meantime, start saving up for a good used bargain on ebay or gumtree

I recently bought an older Specialized S-Works Transition E5 off ebay for £500. A really good price, as it has full Campy Chorus groupset, in mint condition and I'm well pleased as it fits like a glove and is quick. Weighs just over 7kg:

s-l1600.jpg

My other bike that I also bought off ebay for £670 is a Giant TCR full carbon .... mint condition and came with loads of extras including shimano shoes, Garmin, CO2 cannisters, spare tyres/tubes etc etc

fvwh37.jpg

so, save up and buy 2nd hand but be patient and make sure it fits proper and is in good condition

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 62
  • fvwh37.jpg
    fvwh37.jpg
    307.9 KB · Views: 86
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 62
  • fvwh37.jpg
    fvwh37.jpg