To retire or not...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Congrats to all who've managed to retire at 50-odd - I'm well jealous. Having to find an unexpected extra £80-90,000 (could well be more) for tuition fees has kind of scuppered my plans to do this! :ohmy:

I'm willing to swap with anyone who thinks they'd be too bored being retired by the way. :smile:

Why not swap your kids for some thick ones that won't get into uni, you can retire earlier then!

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You don't need to be clever to go to uni nowadays - just rich. :whistle:

*cough*

rollinstok

Congrats to all who've managed to retire at 50-odd - I'm well jealous. Having to find an unexpected extra £80-90,000 (could well be more) for tuition fees has kind of scuppered my plans to do this! :ohmy:

I'm willing to swap with anyone who thinks they'd be too bored being retired by the way. :smile:

The trick is to bag a woman at an early age and have kids when your still young !!
My kids had flown the nest when I was only 46 so it was ME time again... lovely
Tell em they have to work their way through uni and get your feet up mate^_^

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'd love to retire but I can't afford to buy taupe coloured clothes.
or biege.....
imwm-08.jpg

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Have you factored in the obligatory MSc and perhaps a PhD......your kids could be studying until they are at least 30...if not older.

Don't forget to add an apprenticeship and workfare course in poundland on top of that too.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I sort of answered this in the 'where would you retire' thread but here is a bit more on how I feel about retirement.

There was a time (a long time in fact) where we earn't an awful lot of money. We had 'stuff' and we did 'things' but it was at the expense of a real life. There are only so many expensive cars, watches and holidays that you can have before they become run of the mill.

When I was 42 (MD of a reasonable sized business) and my wife was 35 (finance manager) we hatched a plan to quit the rat race. This involved murdering the mortgage, credit cards, loans etc (the more you earn the more you borrow) over a 3 year period and then quitting our careers.

Well, we zeroed the debt as planned and to this day 10 years later we still have precisely nothing.

We always knew we would have to generate some income. We have a stash invested for later life and don't want to dip into it now, So we worked out what to do. I set up a small easily managed business and my wife took up a part-time position.

Neither of us much fancy doing nothing any more. We like our different job-orientated social networks and would be loathe to give them up.

What helps is that our business/employment is not as essential as it used to be and that takes huge pressure off of us - so I guess that is why we are relaxed in our occupations now. Plus of course we do not have to work full-time or anywhere near any more.

So to answer the OP: nope, retirement is not for us - at least whilst we have our health and sanity!

Night Train

Maker of Things
+1 for removing all the debt early.
I did that about 12 years ago and cleared everything except in small debt on a CC. Then I went back to study, and needed to spend a bit on the house, and settle my folks into a proper granny flat and I ended up with a small mortgage again!:sad:

Still, it is only a little mortgage, about 1/15th of the house value, and I am over paying it again to hurry it along. Can't wait to be mortgage free again.:smile:

Top Bottom