To sand or not to sand, that is the question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
And I've never come across such a simple question on which people, including People Who Know, seem to have such divergent opinions.

Basic situation, we've had all the common parts replastered, and I'm looking to paint everything white, as a starter for 10. So, I've done my homework, and all the prep, and I'm ready for the misting coat - but do I start off by lightly sanding everything, or do I leave it as is?

The plasterers (a trio of Albanians; lovely chaps who did a fantastic job) have left us with a mirror finish. Photos don't entirely convey, but...

1657978316914.png

And it's all like that. Lots of people suggest that a once-over with medium/fine gives the paint something to grip to. Makes sense. Others say 'over-dilute' your mist paint - up to 50/50 - and all will be well. But other others just say 'good plasterers?' - no need. And if that's not good plastering, I can't think what is.

Anyone been there, and tried it with/without? All contributions appreciated. :okay:

si_c

Guru
Should just be able to paint right onto the plaster, no other prep necessary, but you do need to let it dry out properly first, at least a week.

A couple of misting coats and you should be good to go.

irw

Quadricyclist
Our next door neighbour (who is a plasterer) did our bathroom for us- he actually asked me how I was going to finish it, because if I was painting (I was), he wouldn’t do a shiny finish on it, because I’d end up just pushing the paint around the shiny surface, whereas I suppose if you are wallpapering, I guess a glossy surface is preferable.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Paint a small section. If it soaks in to leave an even finish then you're good to go.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The plasterer who plastered our Conservatory recommended a first coat with suitably diluted PVA, then, paint. That was six months ago, it (the paint) hasn't fallen off, so far.

Slick

Guru
The plasterer who plastered our Conservatory recommended a first coat with suitably diluted PVA, then, paint. That was six months ago, it (the paint) hasn't fallen off, so far.

This. :okay:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The plaster will be absorbent hence the watered down PVA, you could just water the paint down for the first coat instead.
Sanding unnecessary.

midlife

Guru
I'd be more worried about buying the right type of paint for a hall, I guess it needs to be tough and wipable

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Excellent! Many thanks. Very interesting.
Should just be able to paint right onto the plaster, no other prep necessary, but you do need to let it dry out properly first, at least a week.

A couple of misting coats and you should be good to go.

It's dry as dry could be - getting on a month since the plastering, and it's been drying weather all the way, and then some.

'A couple'? Have to say I thought misting was a one coat deal. Would two be the norm?
Our next door neighbour (who is a plasterer) did our bathroom for us- he actually asked me how I was going to finish it, because if I was painting (I was), he wouldn’t do a shiny finish on it, because I’d end up just pushing the paint around the shiny surface, whereas I suppose if you are wallpapering, I guess a glossy surface is preferable.

That's interesting.
A lot of people on that there internet seem to think PVA is an absolute no no.
I can recommend Valspar paint, especially straight onto plaster, as can @I like Skol.
See also Valspar paint. Many many detractors online. (FWIW I'm going with Dulux Matt. It's a name I know & do actually trust, and one that seems pretty well thought of out there in DIYland.)

So, I think I know what I'm going to do next. Obvious really...don't know why I didn't think of it.

Paint a small section. If it soaks in to leave an even finish then you're good to go.

Try it, and see if it works!

I'm still unsure about the misting though - one coat or two? I suppose try one and then play it by ear.

Thanks again.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Excellent! Many thanks. Very interesting.

It's dry as dry could be - getting on a month since the plastering, and it's been drying weather all the way, and then some.

'A couple'? Have to say I thought misting was a one coat deal. Would two be the norm?

That's interesting.

A lot of people on that there internet seem to think PVA is an absolute no no.

See also Valspar paint. Many many detractors online. (FWIW I'm going with Dulux Matt. It's a name I know & do actually trust, and one that seems pretty well thought of out there in DIYland.)

So, I think I know what I'm going to do next. Obvious really...don't know why I didn't think of it.

Try it, and see if it works!

I'm still unsure about the misting though - one coat or two? I suppose try one and then play it by ear.

Thanks again.

Yes, I noticed more than one negative regarding PVA. I am no expert, so, wouldn't argue beyond what I said ie, six months in, and, so far, paint hasn't fallen off. If it helps, the paint used was Dulux Matt Emulsion.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do ;)

Top Bottom