To scalp or not to scalp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dr_pink

Does Dr_Pink live in West Yorkshire by any chance?
....50-something grey-haired lady. .
:eek: better buy that anti-ageing cream tomorrow...
I'm not even in the vet. categories yet!

The food chain for scalping is as follows...
The food chain: where do you come in the system?
  1. Scooters
  2. Roadies with shaved legs*
  3. Proper rapid singlespeeds (real men, messengers, tarty shiny fixies)*
  4. Roadies with hairy legs*
  5. Faux singlespeeds (fakengers, dirty/functional bikes, silly eggbeater gears)*
  6. Touring bikes (mudguards)*
  7. Fast hybrids*
  8. MTBs on skinnies*
  9. MTBs on knobblies
  10. Bromptons/collapsing bikes
  11. MTB full-sus on knobblies
  12. Shoppers
  13. Shoppers with wicker baskets
  14. Electric bikes
And the scoring method and explanation found here...link

But in general you score points based on your place in the food chain compared to the overtaken.
Agree with this last bit - much more fun scalping when on my touring bike with 26" wheels, semi-slicks, mudguards and panniers
A key one missing from this list - triathletes in the tri bars ... great fun to pass while on a touring bike

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Agree with this last bit - much more fun scalping when on my touring bike with 26" wheels, semi-slicks, mudguards and panniers
A key one missing from this list - triathletes in the tri bars ... great fun to pass while on a touring bike

They don't like it up 'em do they?

mancaus

This is what an elite category racer is doing on a recent criterium. Not a long ride 27ish miles in total .5 of a mile per lap. You may get guys a bit faster but it gives a fair idea of what the Pros are doing in a competitive situation.

That's fascinating. Here's a run-down of what happened from the man himself: http://www.velouk.net/2012/06/26/elite-circuit-series-brighouse-rd-1/

Interesting to follow the heart rate (click "Back to Ride" for the whole race):
  • From the off he was in a break of 5, working together.
  • You can see the heart-rate and speed go up at 20 minutes when they lapped the bulk of the main field.
  • At 20 to go they start attacking each other - all hell breaks loose and HR rises.
  • The last minute is chasing the eventual winner.

GrasB

Veteran
A bit like commuting then.
More accurately "A bit like urban commuting then", I don't urban commute that much. If you had looked at the routes the OP & I posted you'd see they're very open routes without much to slow us down assuming green traffic lights & light traffic. The OPs run being on a sunday & my am commutes being very early traffic was light. In that regard you'd be much better off actually comparing commutes to TTs.

potsy

Rambler

I'm seeing a whole new evil side to you dr_pink :evil:

Does Dr_Pink live in West Yorkshire by any chance?

I get overtaken by male roadies all the time on my commute. But the two most devastating scalps I encountered were from the same 50-something grey-haired lady. Gotta be a modern-day Beryl Burton. On one occasion I was in the zone at about 21/22mph and feeling great when...suddenly this thing flew past my right, raised the four fingers from her handlebar as a hello, and disappeeared into the distance.

Oh pleeeeeease tell me she was on a Raleigh Shopper with part-flat tyres and a dry chain??? :rofl: :cycle:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
More accurately "A bit like urban commuting then", I don't urban commute that much. If you had looked at the routes the OP & I posted you'd see they're very open routes without much to slow us down assuming green traffic lights & light traffic. The OPs run being on a sunday & my am commutes being very early traffic was light. In that regard you'd be much better off actually comparing commutes to TTs.
It was supposed to be a light hearted humorous comment not and an indepth analysis of your or anyone else's route. Unfortunately you can't do smilies on a phone. :sad: My commute in the main is through rural country albeit with a town at either end so I do know they exist....

GrasB

Veteran
It was supposed to be a light hearted humorous comment not and an indepth analysis of your or anyone else's route. Unfortunately you can't do smilies on a phone. :sad: My commute in the main is through rural country albeit with a town at either end so I do know they exist....
okay, my mistake :cheers:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
okay, my mistake :cheers:
No problem :thumbsup:

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
Im gutted, Now with my new cycling clothes from aldi, my road bike with tri bars on and the fact iv only been riding 2 week or so Im a very easy target for somone to pick up some easy points!!!

Peowpeowpeowlasers

I had my best chinny-chin out but then I remembered that only the other day, for a good half a mile or so, I was doing about 35mph down Chorley Old Road into Horwich. That isn't a particularly steep hill, in fact hardly a hill at all, but it's long, straight and wide enough to get your chin onto the bars and push as hard as you like. But we all know that at those speeds, all you can do is try and keep a light hand on the tiller and hope nobody pulls out. The last thing I'd be thinking about would be overtaking another cyclist.

Reactions: gaz

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I thought i did a scalp yesterday I was doing 23mph and he was doing to what I can only gess 12ish , but it was a overtake because I can only scalp somone with a carbon bike and shaved legs :sad:

Top Bottom