To scalp or not to scalp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:GAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! :surrender: :surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

The curse of the dreaded TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) has struck this thread, stamp it out stampitout STAMP IIITTT OUUUUTT!!!!

What in the name of Judas Iscarriot's bumboy do FCN and KOM mean??? If one must use these infernal shortening conventions, please ty

Well, there I was, happily spinning home when this UFO lands on the road, righ in front of me, and I...........

FCN - Food Chain Number
KOM - King Of The Mountains

:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:GAAAARRRRGGGHHHHH!!!!! :surrender: :surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:

The curse of the dreaded TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) has struck this thread, stamp it out stampitout STAMP IIITTT OUUUUTT!!!!

What in the name of Judas Iscarriot's bumboy do FCN and KOM mean??? If one must use these infernal shortening conventions, please ty

Well, there I was, happily spinning home when this UFO lands on the road, righ in front of me, and I...........
Anyone else having problems with text formatting in their replies? I changed the font size for the first line and it seemed to throw the rest into confusion, even when I tried to switch back to the same size font as default it was unhappy ? :blink:

"Scalping" is a term I had not previously come across until reading it on this forum. Out in the sticks we [self and dr_pink] don't really "scalp" other riders, if we do overtake another cyclist we always say hello, raise a hand in acknowledgement or slow down for a chat. In our little world it really wouldn't give much satisfaction to pass anyone who isn't on a road bike in lycra. Catching other roadies is difficult anyway and usually requires several miles of hard riding and by the time you catch them you had better be damn sure of yourself if you carry on past as they might just be out for a pootle / warming down etc.
Does anyone on here count passing ladies as a "scalp"? When dr_pink commutes to work, now and again a male cyclist will tear past her presumably to show how tough they are not realising this is a lady who can average 22mph for 100 miles. Sometimes she toys with them before showing them the error of their ways, it's always hilarious though ^_^

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's not about speed, it's about watts. The reality is the wattages are well below pro rider standard for that kind of duration.

Let's put this in context. For someone of my weight (78kg give or take), these aren't big numbers for a trained athlete, a mid-pack cat 1 rider of my weight would be about 750w for 1 min & have a 390w FTP. 284w = 3.64w/kg, which for a 1h maximal effort (FTP) is a low US cat 3 racer. My 361w was sustained for about 45s, being 4.63w/kg that doesn't even make it onto the bottom of the 1min scale for US cat racers!

I think you missed the smilies in my post, :rolleyes:

4F

[quote="totallyfixed, post: 1938074, member: 7097Does anyone on here count passing ladies as a "scalp"? When dr_pink commutes to work, now and again a male cyclist will tear past her presumably to show how tough they are not realising this is a lady who can average 22mph for 100 miles. Sometimes she toys with them before showing them the error of their ways, it's always hilarious though ^_^[/quote]

LOL as if anyone would be foolish enough to attempt to scalp dr_pink :cycle: I only consider a scalp, a scalp, if the scalpee is trying :becool:

lejogger

Guru
Perhaps in future, as a forum, we should all agree that any stories/anecdotes about our rides are fully backed up with photographic, video and Strava evidence, and before posting they should be approved for publish by 3 wisened senior members who have each posted over 1,000 times, all of which are proven to have contained less than 0.1% exaggeration, bravado or indeed 'willy waving'? :whistle:

4F

Indeed, but I guess it comes down to the old adage, "never judge a book by it's cover". Off topic, when are we going to see you again? We had hoped you would be able to make one this summer as we are a bit nearer now.

I am working on Mrs 4F on getting a pass on the 29th so watch this space....

4F

Perhaps in future, as a forum, we should all agree that any stories/anecdotes about our rides are fully backed up with photographic, video and Strava evidence, and before posting they should be approved for publish by 3 wisened senior members who have each posted over 1,000 times, all of which are proven to have contained less than 0.1% exaggeration, bravado or indeed 'willy waving'? :whistle:

Indeed Strava evidence shall be the only evidence accepted or otherwise "it didn't happen" :hugs:

GrasB

Veteran
I think you missed the smilies in my post, :rolleyes:
I didn't miss them, rather miss interpreted them... possibly.

When dr_pink commutes to work, now and again a male cyclist will tear past her presumably to show how tough they are not realising this is a lady who can average 22mph for 100 miles. Sometimes she toys with them before showing them the error of their ways, it's always hilarious though ^_^
The real fun is when you pass someone fairly briskly because you are just doing that pace because. The rider you pass tries to play you after they pass you again you simply hold their wheel for 2 or 3 min, draw along side & say "Thanks for the draft, how about a few miles of through & off?"

4F

Go on then I will start http://app.strava.com/rides/13113235 When's the tour of Britain start and where do I sign ? :laugh:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
This is what an elite category racer is doing on a recent criterium. Not a long ride 27ish miles in total .5 of a mile per lap. You may get guys a bit faster but it gives a fair idea of what the Pros are doing in a competitive situation.

Top Bottom