To scalp or not to scalp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
Start threads with a realistic first post. Most on here ride everyday so can easily spot when some is making slightly fanciful claims. What bike were you riding? Please don't say a MTB or hybrid, Giant Defy 2?

Not sure what was unrealistic in the initial post, we were both going down hill (I mention this in a later post) if you have never gone over 30mph then you're missing out. I was riding my road bike at the time and not entirely sure what is fanciful about my claims. As I keep saying over a short distance of 4 miles a higher average speed is expected....

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
As for chasing another rider further up the road only to catch him/her so you can "scalp" them then abruptly turn left in front of them this is the height of bad manners and boorishness. You are no better than vehicles that left hook cyclists.

Hence why I didn't, so would prefer you to say "you would be" no better than vehicles that left hook cyclists. Not sure if you have some issue with me personally for some reason.

Crankarm

Guru
Hence why I didn't, so would prefer you to say "you would be" no better than vehicles that left hook cyclists. Not sure if you have some issue with me personally for some reason.

No issue with you personally Maylian. I have no idea who you are, your name or identity. Any one who posts on line not using their real name can construct any persona that rocks their boat.

Average speed tends not to measured over a period of 4 minutes but for a period of one hour. so if you are stopped it becomes pointless. Guessing is also pointless. I would suggest riding a few 10 or 25 mile TTs under proper timing. This will give you a good indicator of the extent of the average speed you are able to achieve. Maybe you break a few course records?

GrasB

Veteran
Yes it does.
I do an out & back 2 mile ride, I keep a steady speed for the outbound & return legs. I take 2 min to do the first mile leg & 4 min to do the second mile. So overall I average 20 mph, but spend 1/3 of my time at 30mph & 2/3 of my time at 15mph.

Jdratcliffe

Really? I treat mine as a TT most days. I don't cycle dangerously, regularly shoulder check, stop at all red lights and give way when I should. Just when you see a target upping my speed by 1-2mph takes away some of the monotony. As for overtaking that thought process was in my head several hundred metres before getting near him and didn't put either of us in danger, surely overtaking is a thought process you have to think about at all times considering traffic etc....
+ agree the though of beating a time keeps me on my toes rather than "fall asleep" as it were i too stopp at all reds shoulder check give everyone a wide berth and dont over take without large gaps or if potholes or drain covers in the other guy/girls way.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
What bike were you riding? Please don't say a MTB or hybrid, Giant Defy
2?
What's wrong with the Giant? :huh:

Crankarm

Guru
example average 30 mph over 1 minute.

50 seconds at 29mph
10s at 35mph

50% of ride not done over 30mph.

Thank you for pointing this out. I was wondering how long it would be before some one noticed my deliberate mistake. But can you give your mathematical working as to how you arrive at your average speed in your example ;)?

Crankarm

Guru
What's wrong with the Giant? :huh:

Nothing as far as I know. It's an entry level road bike, aluminium frame, costs about £800. I think my post and punctuation was not as clear as it could have been. I see the OP rides a hybrid and the Defy which I lumped in as one in my post.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
Whatever about all the he said she said crap.

You shoulda dropped him.

Reactions: gaz

Hector

WTF people.

Man claims a good speed (chicks can't travel that fast unless they are on testosterone) and you lot bemoan and have a go.

All over a high average and high cruising speed which you can attain on the right road with the right bike. Rather then have a pop might I suggest youz lot go the nearest smooth, flat piece of grey ribbon perfection and do a sprint a la Cav style!?

You'd be surprised at what speed you can get upto.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
WTF people.

Man claims a good speed (chicks can't travel that fast unless they are on testosterone) and you lot bemoan and have a go.

All over a high average and high cruising speed which you can attain on the right road with the right bike. Rather then have a pop might I suggest youz lot go the nearest smooth, flat piece of grey ribbon perfection and do a sprint a la Cav style!?

You'd be surprised at what speed you can get upto.

The trouble is that such places and traffic-free roads don't exist for most of us.

Top Bottom