To scalp or not to scalp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I keep wondering how other cyclists feel about having a little race...

Whenever I overtake a taking-it-easy roadie on my front sus hybrid, full guards and saddlebag, normal clothes, ample beer belly etc they always have to get back past despite that they were happy riding at under 15mph until the overtake. I dont mind at all infact I quite like it, seeing their extra speed since I dont ride with clubs/events to compare. The one or two times ive caught back up with said person, or beat them to a junction theyve always stared dead ahead and blanked me, while im all smiles and struggling to breathe regardless of who won or whether they were a roadie or mtb rider :smile:

I know im not as fast, but my weight makes me quick on slight downhills and tailwinds level the field a lot too, I overtook a roadie not long ago doing 28 to his 24 with an epic tailwind and to keep to 28/29mph and he flew back past me at like 40mph banked over so far into the corner up ahead. I just hope that its in good spirits and enjoyed by all.

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
I always enjoy a bit of competition myself and not too offended if I get overtaken. I always smile and have a chat with people at the lights as well unless they're RLJ in which case I'll have a little shout at them.

So cycling to work this morning I see a cyclist approx. 1 mile ahead of me in a bright yellow jersey. I got caught at a couple of lights but managed to catch up with him about a 1/2 mile before my turning for work. He was only cruising at about 23mph and I was up to about 34mph so could have overtaken him but would have had to break shortly after for my turning.

Now not sure if the yellow jersey made me think of TdF and I was going to win something but I ended up taking the polite way out and just sitting back a bike length and then turning off since its a sunny Sunday morning. Should I have scalped?...I kind of regret not taking it now :sad:

Are you a fisherman too....;)

Norm

At most I can maintain it for about a mile before dropping into high 20's on flat. Got to remember its only a short commute so don't have to pace myself a huge amount. Plus at times there may be a certain amount of draughting, but 37 unassisted is about standard, 45 with a draught at times. I would put most of it down to the road since its really smooth tarmac.
Seriously, the TdF guys are doing 25-ish. Either you have something wrong with your computer or you are not commuting to the correct workplace if you can manage 30-40 for a mile before dropping back to high-20s on human power alone.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Since they resurfaced it, its great to ride on. Going into Southampton I can happily spin along at 30-40mph depending on conditions, absolutely love that road now you have no pot holes to avoid!

Shame they havent sorted the cyclepaths out just yet. I think its coming but not sure when.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Anyone who thinks this much about overtaking another cyclist while commuting is not paying enough attention to the things he should be thinking about on the road. A commute is not a race.

Its just part of road awareness. If another rider is going slow enough it can be good practice to plan ahead and get past when it is safe. Different people have different natural-speeds.

The roads can also be pretty quiet around here on a Sunday too.

Hector

Going along on the flat at full whack you can get upto the mid 30's quite easily, depending on your fitness.

And on a straight road that is smooth it's no big deal. I can cruise along on my bike for a mile doing about 36mph before my lungs feel like they are going to explode and I can taste blood in my mouth.

As for the drafting, you can draft a truck fairly easily. If you get right behind the vehicle the air current that occurs when the truck cuts through the air actually pushes you along to the point where you don't need to pedal once you are up to speed.

Doing this I once managed to do a 7.5 commute in 18 mins, with 3 of those miles spent drafting traffic topping out at 48mph. Needless to say though it is dangerous should the vehicle suddenly stop.

BSRU

A Human Being
I do not know if it is a different commute route but if you were commuting just 4 miles cruising in the high 20's, easily spinning between 30 and 40 mph you would cover 4 miles in alot less than 11 minutes, unless that is your total time not moving time and you have a few stops.

Top Bottom