To scalp or not to scalp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
Anyone who thinks this much about overtaking another cyclist while commuting is not paying enough attention to the things he should be thinking about on the road. A commute is not a race.

Really? I treat mine as a TT most days. I don't cycle dangerously, regularly shoulder check, stop at all red lights and give way when I should. Just when you see a target upping my speed by 1-2mph takes away some of the monotony. As for overtaking that thought process was in my head several hundred metres before getting near him and didn't put either of us in danger, surely overtaking is a thought process you have to think about at all times considering traffic etc....

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
it must of been early i have never seen the avenue look that clear,so you could get any speed up,never been down there on a bike but always feels busy when i have cut down through there to town from Chilworth

Since they resurfaced it, its great to ride on. Going into Southampton I can happily spin along at 30-40mph depending on conditions, absolutely love that road now you have no pot holes to avoid!

redcard

Veteran
Anyone who thinks this much about overtaking another cyclist while commuting is not paying enough attention to the things he should be thinking about on the road. A commute is not a race.

It was an early Sunday morning, obviously not much traffic about. I presume Maylian also does the same commute during rush hour. Therefore, this morning he would have had extra thinking time due to the lack of other distractions. There's only so much thinking one can do on a commute, right? I mean, there comes a point when enough attention is enough attention. You don't keep throwing more and more attention at things - there comes a saturation point.

If he didn't have this race to occupy this down-time, then he would no doubt have slipped into a semi-comatose state and MURDERED PEDESTRIANS TO DEATH.

This comment brought to you using Cooper-logic (patent pending).

MrB1obby

That's a ridiculous statement. If you cannot think/judge/make an overtake on a sunday morning, you do not have enough brain capacity and should not be on the road :banghead:

Norm

You should check the settings on your bike computer. I suspect you have the speedo set for KPH not MPH :thumbsup: :tongue:
I think he hasn't realised that this is a cycling forum, not one for scooterists. ^_^

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
If you can spin along at 30 to 40 mph for more than a couple of hundred yards you might want to speak to Sky GB cycling. :whistle:

Here is Simon Yates practicing his TTing on a nice new stretch of road around where I live. He is a junior world champion. ^_^

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
If you can spin along at 30 to 40 mph for more than a couple of hundred yards you might want to speak to Sky GB cycling. :whistle:

Here is Simon Yates practicing his TTing on a nice new stretch of road around where I live. He is a junior world champion. ^_^

At most I can maintain it for about a mile before dropping into high 20's on flat. Got to remember its only a short commute so don't have to pace myself a huge amount. Plus at times there may be a certain amount of draughting, but 37 unassisted is about standard, 45 with a draught at times. I would put most of it down to the road since its really smooth tarmac.

Top Bottom