To scalp or not to scalp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrB1obby

This is the road so pretty straight and no traffic when I was cycling. The 23mph was what my speedo said when I was cruising behind him. But I do have laser vision so can see through things....;)

I guessed that, it's quite hard to put sarcasm on a forum. I should really stop doing it :smile:

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
At no point do I say my average is 30+, for my ride its only 22mph average. On the route home down the Avenue you have a small down hill that gets you up to speed so easy to maintain for the mile and I have a hill at the beginning.

I got the sarcasm, tried to reciprocate with my laser eyes :biggrin:

MrB1obby

At no point do I say my average is 30+, for my ride its only 22mph average. On the route home down the Avenue you have a small down hill that gets you up to speed so easy to maintain for the mile and I have a hill at the beginning.

Your point being...? Laser eyes is old tech, nothing special :reading:

400bhp

Guru
At most I can maintain it for about a mile before dropping into high 20's on flat. Got to remember its only a short commute so don't have to pace myself a huge amount. Plus at times there may be a certain amount of draughting, but 37 unassisted is about standard, 45 with a draught at times. I would put most of it down to the road since its really smooth tarmac.

Have you joined Strava. Actually what a silly thing I have just said as if you had then no-one else would have KoM's :whistle:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Do you not have any traffic lights in Southampton?

Crankarm

Guru

This thread is a wind up, right?!

Average ................. which means 50% of the time you must be travelling well in excess of 30mph to make up for the time you are not riding at anywhere near 30mph ............... Even if your average is 22mph you should turn pro. In reality I doubt it is really anywhere near this figure unless ........... you were riding down hill with a following wind or drafting a bus / tractor / mobility scooter ;).

My average is about 18mph depending on terrain, what bike I am riding and whether I am carrying things like panniers which may be heavy then obviously average speed will drop significantly to 13-14 mph ish. I did achieve an average of 20mph several years ago but now I just ride. In the end the only person you are kidding is yourself.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Do you not have any traffic lights in Southampton?

Gaz (and Crankarm), if I plan my own route I can ramp up the average to 20mph (eg if I'm riding out of Thornhill down to Parkgate, or Lordshill to Shirley) - the lights tend to operate in your favour and its all downhill. Usually heading the otherway you'll get a slight tailwind too so I average atleast 15mph the otherway...

OP
OP
Maylian

Maylian

Veteran
This thread is a wind up, right?!

Average ................. which means 50% of the time you must be travelling well in excess of 30mph to make up for the time you are not riding at anywhere near 30mph ............... Even if your average is 22mph you should turn pro. In reality I doubt it is really anywhere near this figure unless ........... you were riding down hill with a following wind or drafting a bus / tractor / mobility scooter ;).

My average is about 18mph depending on terrain, what bike I am riding and whether I am carrying things like panniers which may be heavy then obviously average speed will drop significantly to 13-14 mph ish. I did achieve an average of 20mph several years ago but now I just ride. In the end the only person you are kidding is yourself.

This thread wasn't meant to be anything to do with my average speed, was just a question on etiquette of whether to overtake with not long before having to stop or not. If you have difficulty believing my average speed that's not really my problem, I cycle on public roads so can easily be watched. Like I said before my commute is only a short distance so keeping a higher average is not an issue as opposed to someone doing a 10+ mile commute, on my longer rides (50+) this average will drop.

http://veloroutes.org/r/85450 - Just so you can see my route......

Guess I won't bother starting a thread on opinions since it seems most people will try and pick an argument for the sake of it.

Crankarm

Guru
The point is Maylian your are posting average speeds that generally only Pros or those on a motorbike can achieve. You have to be a rather good rider to even average 22mph and in the Guiness book of records if you can average 30+mph. I think you should analyse how you are actually recording your average speeds as this is where your apparent discrepancy with reality may well be occurring? It is pretty hard to average more than 18-19 mph commuting on roads with other road users and hazards to negotiate. If you are TTing with proper timing equipemnt then average speed has much more relevance. But otherwise it is pretty meaningless tbh especially if you are only able to ride at 53mph for 10 seconds before you pass out from exhaustion ;).

As for chasing another rider further up the road only to catch him/her so you can "scalp" them then abruptly turn left in front of them this is the height of bad manners and boorishness. You are no better than vehicles that left hook cyclists.

Crankarm

Guru
This thread wasn't meant to be anything to do with my average speed, was just a question on etiquette of whether to overtake with not long before having to stop or not. If you have difficulty believing my average speed that's not really my problem, I cycle on public roads so can easily be watched. Like I said before my commute is only a short distance so keeping a higher average is not an issue as opposed to someone doing a 10+ mile commute, on my longer rides (50+) this average will drop.

http://veloroutes.org/r/85450 - Just so you can see my route......

Guess I won't bother starting a thread on opinions since it seems most people will try and pick an argument for the sake of it.

Start threads with a realistic first post. Most on here ride everyday so can easily spot when some is making slightly fanciful claims. What bike were you riding? Please don't say a MTB or hybrid, Giant Defy 2?

Top Bottom