1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To the cyclist on the Bristol Road,...

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Mister Paul, 13 Nov 2007.

1. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

...going south out of Birmingham this evening.

You said

"mgghf frwegrrhe bffdst global warming!"

as you passed me.

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you were talking about.

It wasn't you, was it Simon?

2. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Nah, couldn't have been.
    To sensible for simon !!

3. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'm guessing, if it's as nippy down there as it is up here, it was something along the lines of "so much for global warming!"

I do like the idea that it might have been Simon, but I think you'd have heard the words "BBC" clearly enough...

4. jiggerypokery

jiggerypokery Über Member

You do the Bristol Road!!!!!! :blush:

Christ you are brave, I thought the Coventry Rd was bad but Bristol Rd and the mahoosive cross roads would scare me witless, especially with the way that drivers speed between speed cameras and shilly shally between filter lanes on that particular stretch!

5. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

It's not bad. In the rush our the cars are mostly stationary on the tightest bits. And if you can't get past them on the tight bit through Edgbaston then you're allowed to use the pavement. The bit through Bournbrook is very satisfying.

The scarey parts are the 40mph dual carriageway stretches. You have to take the middle of the lane.

I only do the road when the towpath is too wet.

6. Probably was Simon, reminding you to go to see Al's film next Monday in Crewe.

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

I'm curious, define too wet.

8. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

When our towpath gets wet it puddles the full width. Even with full guards on, this can spray onto your pannier, and grit up your drivetrain.

Add to this this time of year when you also get a slippery, soggy mush of leaves, and it's sometimes better to stay on the road.

9. Maz

Maz Guru

There's more water on it than in the canal.

10. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

I'm guessing 'under water'. :blush: Like the riverside path here in York often is...

11. OP
    OP
    Mister Paul

Mister Paul Honky

Why do you want the definition Dom?