To those with helmet cameras...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

magnatom

Some good points Ben, and I suppose this is what I am trying to get at. From a very early stage when I became 'infamous' I realised that I would have to try and be as fair as possiblein my videoing, admitting all of my failings (and yes I have some) if I was to be taken as credible at all. No matter how hard I try to remain unbiased, there are people who still think I am some form of car hating, cycling anarchist who goes home at night plotting how he will catch his next moton victim (I hate the word moton!!). I know that I am certainly not alone in this!

So I've been wondering if it was worth writing a code, completely voluntary of course which would be worth upholding, as a campaigning helmet camera cyclist, i.e. to be as unbiased as possible, to be willing to post your own mistakes etc, something that you could be measured against.

It's all just random thoughts just now, but I've been mulling it for a while....

One way might be to have a slightly formalised blog. Categorising events to certain criteria. Having an obligation to post regularly might maintain its usefulness. The extreme would be to stream every commute - I can see downsides.

OP
OP
M

magnatom

One way might be to have a slightly formalised blog. Categorising events to certain criteria. Having an obligation to post regularly might maintain its usefulness. The extreme would be to stream every commute - I can see downsides.

Actually a variation on that would be possible. Select a section from your commute (an interesting section), maximum 20 seconds long and capture that section of video every day you commute. Then produce a compilation showing a year in the life of a commute. hmmm.:smile:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
A question to ask. Does having a high profile and knowing you're in the lime light make you ride differently?

For me, yes. I rarely take a risk, and try to cycle as perfectly as possible. As you say, if I didn't, I could lose credibility and my videos would be pointless. I still make the odd mistake but people dint pick up on them.

One of my latest videos with a bus has received some nasty comments (all deleted) but they based around my position on the road. Which from a cyclists point of view was perfect but motorists (and someone that claimed to be a cyclist) thought I should be charged by the police for blocking the road. So even when you are right, it still gets percieved as wrong.

Matthames

Über Member
There have been occasions where I have edited a clip because I have said something that is bordering on dodgy. My camera is also set at an angle that makes hand gestures hard to see. There was an incident a short while ago that had I captured the registration plate I would of been careful to make sure that the fact that I didn't show that I was flipping the bird in the heat of the moment.

A lot of the mistakes that I make myself I only really keep for personal benefit and wouldn't really bother putting it on youtube, unless I wanted advice. I find that using the camera helps me go through those mistakes and see how I could do things differently in future.

thomas

the tank engine
Once of twice I've not posted a video because I didn't like my reaction.

Most of my videos are just close passes so are over and done in a few seconds and generally don't catch the driver up. At most I might yell out of shock or do a bit of a hand gesture - neither of which I'm too ashamed off.

There have been occasions where I have edited a clip because I have said something that is bordering on dodgy. My camera is also set at an angle that makes hand gestures hard to see. There was an incident a short while ago that had I captured the registration plate I would of been careful to make sure that the fact that I didn't show that I was flipping the bird in the heat of the moment.

A lot of the mistakes that I make myself I only really keep for personal benefit and wouldn't really bother putting it on youtube, unless I wanted advice. I find that using the camera helps me go through those mistakes and see how I could do things differently in future.

I did that with that lorry on commute 100,but I thought what the hell was up with me as I was well in control of the situation.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I try to edit so that I show a neutral lead up to an incident and allow the aftermath to be shown where it's relevant (although there are times when I put compilations of events on one journey together for effect when I'll edit tightly). .......

Post of the year for me so far Ben.
bravo.gif

Post of the year for me so far Ben.
bravo.gif

Well, what I mean is that where there is a single incident that will prompt analysis and accusations of this and that and who should have been where and doing what I provide space for people to have some idea of the whole picture. As in this case:

Video 1

And when I want to draw attention to the fact that it just seems like people are in a rush on a particular day, or that a lot of people are passing close at the moment I'll post something like this that is edited deliberately so as to prevent any meaningful understanding of what has happened but gives an impression of what was going on. Like these:

Video 2

Video 3

An example of wondering how much to show compare:

Video 4

and

Video 5

Tinuts

Wham Bam Helmet Cam
Well, I have been known to use a well placed profanity beep on occasions.

As for the rest, I'm not telling.
whistling.gif

Attachments

• 1kHz Tone.mp3
    78.8 KB · Views: 18
Top Bottom