To waggle or not to waggle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cloggsy

Boardmanist
"If it gets too hard for you, self-gratifying up the hill will help until the grade eases and you can drop back down on your fanny."

Talk about 'lost in translation'! :whistle: :blush:

Ah, God Bless America (Someone has too...) :rolleyes:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
To give you an idea how slowly you'd be going if you keep a consistent effort on a hill... say you're riding a long at a nice sedate 13mph on a city or trekking bike & you continue at that effort level as you ride up a 2.5% gradient you'll be doing about 7mph. As it gets steeper & gets to 5% you'll be doing about 4.5mph.

Agree with this somewhat, climbing a 15% hill, sitting, in a 34/25 chainring combination on a road bike, I could only sustain 8km/h, running out of oxygen if I try to go faster, getting out of the seat and 'honking' on steep hills is something I reserve for trying to get past a junction or getting out of danger.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Honking is all about pulling up on the handlebars with your arms as well as pushing down with the legs. Simply standing on the pedal will only give a 12 stone man 12 stone of torque into the pedals, pull up with the arms and that torque may go up to 15 or 16 stone.

This. (Well, 50% this. I think the change in muscle recruitment caused by different position, bigger gear and slower cadence is also a part of it)

The bike waggles because you are pushing it very hard with your legs, not because waggling is in any way intrinsically good. It waggles less you hold/pull the bars to stop it flapping around, and this gives you more to push against.

I give it large on the hills, off the saddle, leaning forwards, shoulders down and grunting away in the only gear my bike knows, top gear...

I keep the bike fairly upright and pull on the handlebars whilst leaning over them.

Top Bottom