1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toasted bagels....?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Maggot, 26 Feb 2008.

1. Maggot

Maggot Star of BBC 5Lives Ballot Box Brigade

Why, when I toast a bagel in our toaster, can I hardly pick the damn thing up because it's so hot, but when I toast either bread or a crumpet, for the same time in the same toaster, I can pick it up fine:wacko:

2. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Water content I'd guess.

3. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

because it's more solid than bread or crumpets which loses heat quickly through their holey nature. bagels retain their heat under their 'skin'.

4. Renard

Renard Guest

Do bagels not have holes in them? :tongue:

5. gary r

gary r Veteran

ive often thought the same thing as i "juggle" a hot bagel round the kitchen!

6. ...this can happen with pitta bread too - be careful out there!:tongue:

7. domtyler

domtyler Über Member

Ooof, yes I have been done by a pitta before. Take it out of the toaster and give it a little squeeze and a superheated jet of steam shoots out onto your fingers!! Can be nasty.

8. simonali

simonali Über Member

And what about Pop-Tarts?!

9. abchandler

abchandler Senior Member

Simple - don't use a toaster. Bagels are much nicer toasted under the grill only on their 'cut' side

10. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Huge Member

hmm bagels lovely.

11. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

especially the cinnamon and raison ones, they get even hotter than plain ones.

12. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

I thought this thread was gonna be about the aftermath of Mr Grumpy's microwave DIY

13. stevenb

stevenb New Member

Ditto.

My fave bagel filling has to be smoked salmon with cream cheese and a light squeeze of lemon juice. MMMMMMMMmmmmm:tongue:

14. Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd Miserable Old Bar Steward

Why is everyone picking on bagels ? Have they not been through enough with being forced to smoke 40 Woodbines a day under lab conditions ?

15. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

Yes, it is cruel to put bagels in a toaster but, apparently, Koreans love them!