Toasters

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
DeLonghi toaster. Problem solved.

geocycle

Legendary Member
On holiday and in a nice apartment we had a Sage toaster. Absolutely lovely with a controlled rise and fall mechanism, button labelled ‘little bit more’ for when you need it and if it wasn’t £200 I’d buy one!

presta

Guru
I don't use a toaster. I use the grill.
This.

The problem with toasters is that cooking time depends on how moist the bread is, so if you want it done properly you have to stand over the toaster popping it up every few seconds to check progress, and by the time you've done that you might just as well use the grill. Mine had a bimetallic timer too, which meant that for any given setting, the first batch starting from cold had a longer time than subsequent batches when already warm.

It must be years since I last had any toast though. I've been eating brown bread for the last 10 years, and I don't think that makes such good bread as white. (Having said that, I used to prefer white to brown at the time I switched, but after years of eating brown bread I can't stand white any more, so the same may well apply to toast as well if I were to compare.)

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This.

The problem with toasters is that cooking time depends on how moist the bread is, so if you want it done properly you have to stand over the toaster popping it up every few seconds to check progress, and by the time you've done that you might just as well use the grill. Mine had a bimetallic timer too, which meant that for any given setting, the first batch starting from cold had a longer time than subsequent batches when already warm.

It must be years since I last had any toast though. I've been eating brown bread for the last 10 years, and I don't think that makes such good bread as white. (Having said that, I used to prefer white to brown at the time I switched, but after years of eating brown bread I can't stand white any more, so the same may well apply to toast as well if I were to compare.)
The other reason I use the grill is that I hardly ever have toast as in just toasted bread. I normally have toasted cheese, and that requires a grill. Or toasted Marmite (try it ... cover every square millemetre of your bread with Marmite and grill for ages - it's a fireproof coating - you end up with a giant Twiglet mmmm)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I know there is another thread asking Why questions, but I can't find it so my question is why do they sell toasters in the UK that UK bread doesn't fit into?

Last week our Morphy Richards toaster suddenly started tripping the RCD, I was out on Saturday & there happened to be a Curry's in the same block of shops, so nipped in & came out with a Breville, tries to use it this morning, using a standard slice of bread it was stuck out nearly an inch, but the slot isn't large enough to get it in sideways, anyway packed up & going back later for a refund.

You are not alone in this annoyance.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The last MR did that, that's the kind I'm looking for

I think the one that did proper bread got binned as one of the cats jumped on the wall units at the top of the kitchen, and then chucked up, all landing inside the toaster. Didn't fancy salmon, beef, and chicken flavour toast.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I know there is another thread asking Why questions, but I can't find it so my question is why do they sell toasters in the UK that UK bread doesn't fit into?

Last week our Morphy Richards toaster suddenly started tripping the RCD, I was out on Saturday & there happened to be a Curry's in the same block of shops, so nipped in & came out with a Breville, tries to use it this morning, using a standard slice of bread it was stuck out nearly an inch, but the slot isn't large enough to get it in sideways, anyway packed up & going back later for a refund.

Breville used to do a toaster that was marketed as 'The perfect fit for Warburtons' - I have one and it is.

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Breville-2-Slice-Toaster-Perfect-Warburtons/dp/B00TPM40JQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Top Bottom