Today is the day! Purchasing new bike !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kingspirit

Hi All,
You all probably fed up how often I post the threads! :smile: But, anyway, I allow myself to post one more!
Today I'm looking to make it ! Purchase my new long life companion:smile:
While stock lasts I'm in between of getting Cannondale Topstone 1(https://www.cannondale.com/en-eu/bikes/road/gravel/topstone-alloy/topstone-1), Fuji Jari 1.1 (https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/road/adventure-and-touring/jari/jari-1-1) and I wanted badly Genesis Croix De Fer 40 (found one in stock , (https://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/genesis-croix-de-fer-40-vargn21060)
So the question is, Genesis is steel frame( choromy 725), what is the advantages of getting steel frame ? How stiff is steel Frames? This if going to be an investment for me, for a at least 5-7 years going stress free bike ride!
Was also considering boardman ADV 8.9 but, out if stock
Thank you all

All uphill

Still rolling along
Last summer I rebuilt a steel framed bike that dated from 1956. With a little bit of care it could still be going in 2056.

I think you should get your money's worth out of the Genesis!

OP
OP
K

kingspirit

Last summer I rebuilt a steel framed bike that dated from 1956. With a little bit of care it could still be going in 2056.

I think you should get your money's worth out of the Genesis!
I got Genesis (but alloy) for my wife, I was impressed with the quality of the bike

battered

Guru
Steel is as stiff as any other frame, it's about the design. Steel has a lovely spring to it and an ability to soak up rough roads that ally lacks. You can get a steel frame repaired easily in the unlikely event of it breaking. It's slightly heavier than comparable ally of carbon frames. The debate goes on, and on, and on.

Good afternoon,
.....So the question is, Genesis is steel frame( choromy 725), what is the advantages of getting steel frame ? How stiff is steel Frames?.....
Given that you are asking about steel in general terms you may not be aware that you need read the specs very carefully when buying steel framed bikes.

Depending on what you buy, you might get 725 main tubes only, 725 main tubes and stays or 725 main tubes, stays and front fork. What the non 725 bits are may not be specified or just specified as chro-mo.

Marketing material likes to split the forks away from the frame so that they can say the frame is 100% 725, even if the front forks are not.

As I read the specs on the CdF the tubes and stays are 725 but the front forks are not specified as being 725 merely Chromo.

How much this matters is very much a personal thing and in the real world is probably undetectable by the rider, but the upgrade from 525 to 725 is small in terms of weight saving but not in terms of cost and heavy front forks could easily offset this saving.

At £2,400 for the CdF it is not a bargain basement buy and I think that I would be disappointed if I thought it was 725 and found out that the forks were not.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
I have a 2012 model 725/steel framed Genesis Equilbrium with carbon fork and rim brakes...it’s my fave bike of 5, others being a disc braked mojinr Eq with carbon fork, a titanium with carbon fork, a carbon and an alu
if I could only have one bike it would be the copper 725 Eq.

I’ve looked at the CDF but it always seems a rather heavy bike considering the cost (I would have a Ti from Spa rather than spending 2.4K on one). Steel is springy, Ti is springier still ^_^

vickster

Legendary Member
It's 5.30pm, did you buy one?
Maybe as there’s now only XS in stock via the link posted...

If the original intention is for gravel, trails and commuting , best to stick to alloy or carbon. Steel is excellent for road, commuting and touring. Steel is heavy and not something you want on gravel and trails where you have to do lifts every now and then. You also have to wipe down steel more often despite it is being chrom / stainless steel.

Top Bottom