Todays commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Excuse the long post. No problems.. just my commute.
Nice ride in. I'm only doing a half day, so figured I don't need the saddlebag etc. I'll take the 'decent' bike.
About 3 miles in and I just get the reds at a big crossroad (S66 2TW) Whoevers got the next green there emerges an old racer, going the same way I'll be. "Good, a bit of SCR!" There's a significant time before I get a green, so he's got a decent head start but I gradually reel him in. I'm about (S66 2BW) a mile on before I'm sat behind him.
What I can see is its an old steel framed road bike. Full mudguards, down tube shifters, ancient tool roll slung under the saddle. The guy looks like he's wearing tweed plus fours? Several layers of mismatched patches on the arse, back of the knees etc.
I'm thinking "This guys gonna be better than you think...."
I've had a short while to observe him, he doesn't ride as far out as I, changes gear regularly... I think I do more rear checks?
So I pass him, with a smile and a "Morning!" Thin wiry and although my age guessing is pathetic, I'd say past retirement.
and I'm off. Some nice long downhil drags, where I hit well over 35, couple of roundabouts a cross roads. No red lights.
Then when I'm about 5 miles on (S60 5NU) having dropped down through the gears to deal with an ascent....
I hear a "Hello again"
All I can assume is he's been drafting on the inside of my rear wheel? Fair play to him. Hope I'm as fit at his age.
I figure I'll see him again, that although we're out at similar times, its just that our paths haven't crossed yet. I noticed a few nods between him and other oncoming cyclists that I also recognised from the commute.
We got to Tinsley viaduct, where we took different lanes. Him heading towards Sheffield via attercliffe road. Me I was heading north on the lower deck of Tinsley viaduct.
As a footnote, There was a bit of karma within the next mile.
The lower deck is a 2 lane dual carriageway, with a wide central service road. Limit 50mph
I was wide in the LH lane. The majority pass wide, moving into the RH lane. Mr 'Big Merc' decided he didn't need to change lane position....
Anyway, he's passed. He's 100 yards in front.
His hazards are on.
He's not as fast as he was. Is he stopping? Takes a while, but eventually his brake lights come on and he stops a couple of 100yds from the end. As I approach I can smell a strange burning smell. Theres no traffic behind me so I can move out and pass.
Rear offside, flat as a fart and with no hard shoulder not the best place to be.
As they say in Avenue Q
"Schadenfreude"

BSRU

A Human Being
Beware of old guys on old steel drop bar bikes, the ones I have come across are like machines, they just keep going and going^_^.
I bet the Merc driver is going to be there for some time while he waits for road side assistance to arrive.

Top Bottom