today's music reccommendation

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Disgruntled Goat said:
Slightly OT and you probably will reply saying you've been listening to her for the last 15 years, so I'll thank you for that in advance - but I came across Imogen Heap and I'm absolutely captivated. As you get older, it gets increasingly harder to get enthusiastic about 'new' acts etc but it's all the more exciting when it happens.

ooooh, Imogen!

she's very scary looking, but very sweet. my opening line to her (when introduced by her record company person) was "you're not as scary as you look". amazingly she still spoke to me after that. she keeps popping up on odd places, which is good as she's a talented lass.

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Today's album is a beloved album of mine, one that gets me through life by being so beautiful that I have to limit the number of times I listen to it. It's Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, my favourite album of all time, and the finest example of modal jazz available.

SamNichols said:
Today's album is a beloved album of mine, one that gets me through life by being so beautiful that I have to limit the number of times I listen to it. It's Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, my favourite album of all time, and the finest example of modal jazz available.

To be considered a true aficionado Sam, do you have the "speed corrected" edition? On double vinyl? 180gm? :evil::tongue:

On a jazz theme , I recommend Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section. Recorded in one day, when Art was able to play long enough not to need chemical assistance, with Miles Davis' rhythm section of the time around "Kind Of Blue". Quite outstanding.

Melvil

I got hold of a fine jazz-rock fusion album the other day - Frank Zappa's Hot Rats - never heard his stuff before but this album was ace, very more-ish with great playing all round.

Kind of Blue is a great record but my fave Miles Davis has to be Sketches of Spain, to be played after Concierto de Aranjuez, of course. I think it's a more 'emotional' and rooted album.

Melvil said:
I got hold of a fine jazz-rock fusion album the other day - Frank Zappa's Hot Rats - never heard his stuff before but this album was ace, very more-ish with great playing all round.

You're on a very slippery slope Melvil when it comes to Zappa. You'll either hate his stuff or think it's genius! :evil:

Melvil

Lardyboy said:
You're on a very slippery slope Melvil when it comes to Zappa. You'll either hate his stuff or think it's genius! :evil:

And which side of that mountain do you stand on, Lardy? :tongue:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Lardyboy said:
To be considered a true aficionado Sam, do you have the "speed corrected" edition? On double vinyl? 180gm? :smile::evil:

On a jazz theme , I recommend Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section. Recorded in one day, when Art was able to play long enough not to need chemical assistance, with Miles Davis' rhythm section of the time around "Kind Of Blue". Quite outstanding.

I cannot afford such luxury, I have a remastered cd version and it's still great. If i could get it on vinyl for under £20 then I would, but it's not possible.

Not heard that Art Pepper one, I shall look it up at some point. I don't know what my next recommendation will be, and will a mod please change the thread title so that it's spelled right (it's been annoying me for a while).

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Today's is going on in a completely strange tangent, so far we've had emo (in a good way), jazz, and some other stuff that I can't remember. Today's is: POP. When I say pop, i mean it at its most camp and bubbly, by introducing the absurdity of the Pipettes, and their debut album 'We are the Pipettes'. Three Brighton based beauties singing 60s style pop but with a bit of a modern twist. Also, I like them because a) they're fun and :smile: they're fit. Some people may, however, find it a bit twee.
i don't, however, think that we'll be getting another album from this lot. Boo.

SamNichols said:
Today's is going on in a completely strange tangent, so far we've had emo (in a good way), jazz, and some other stuff that I can't remember. Today's is: POP. When I say pop, i mean it at its most camp and bubbly, by introducing the absurdity of the Pipettes, and their debut album 'We are the Pipettes'. Three Brighton based beauties singing 60s style pop but with a bit of a modern twist. Also, I like them because a) they're fun and :evil: they're fit. Some people may, however, find it a bit twee.
i don't, however, think that we'll be getting another album from this lot. Boo.

A favourite band of a certain radio DJ Mark Radcliffe I believe Sam. Another "girl band" he was keen on was "Helen Love" who play a similar style and having seen them live can say well worth a listen.:smile:

OP
OP
SamNichols

SamNichols

Today, I am recommending Indie-pop, and the album 'Emergency and I' by The Dismemberment Plan. The Dismemberment Plan were the darlings of the American indie scene in the late 90s/early 00s, and released a few albums (4 I think, and a strange album of remixes as their parting gift). They split up a few years back, and their legacy has been fairly big in the alternative scene.
Anyway, why Emergency and I? Well, it's a solid album, full of slower songs such as: 'You are Invited' (a song, bizarrely, about being left an invitation to every party ever) and 'Spiders in the Snow'. Where they really shine, though, is in the fast stuff, their song 'Girl o' clock' (a song about needing sex so much that you'll die) are great, and the band fit together beautifully. In particular, the drummer is a bit of a machine, and on the fast stuff he really opens out into quite complex and fast patterns. Anyway, it is possible to pick up the album for about a fiver from Amazon, and if you're into the american indie thing, then it's a great album to buy.

After the band split, their lead singer, Travis Morrison, had a not particularly good solo career, but he did release an absolutely brilliant version of Ludacris's 'What's your fantasy', which can be downloaded from his website www.travismorrison.com.

Top Bottom