Todays near miss...and the award goes to...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

... The NIBs school bus driver who did his best to execute me as he overtook, cut in and touched up my leg with the side of the bus. I was doing 34 mph down a hill, he mus thave been doing 50 at least...the limit there is 40...I know because I was trying to break it:biggrin:

walker

maybe you've lost so much weight he hasn't seen you

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Drivers are really, really poor at judging speed, I think. They tend to think bike=slow, and time their overtaking accordingly. Covering the brakes is the first thing I do as soon as I see anyone start an overtake, tbh.

Bigtallfatbloke said:
... The NIBs school bus driver who did his best to execute me as he overtook, cut in and touched up my leg with the side of the bus. I was doing 34 mph down a hill, he mus thave been doing 50 at least...the limit there is 40...I know because I was trying to break it:biggrin:

What, were you on your way back to the dentists' again? :smile:

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

I had a full high vis yellow vest on, white helmet, and yellow hi vis ankle bands...I can 't do much more.

I sent an angry e mail to the bus company but I'd be surprised if they even bothered to read past the word CYCLIST

wafflycat

Today's 4r$3hole award goes to the bus driver in Norwich who (and I was in motorist mode) beeped at me angrily because I had the temerity to actually stop at a red light on a ped crossing.... :ohmy::ohmy:!

Then it occurred to me.

He could see the bike in the back of my car so he knew I was a cyclist and assumed that I'd automatically drive straight through the red light...

Obvious! ;)

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Saw a few idiots today.
But it was the be the guy that came rushing up behind me when i was turning right and needing to move over, he slowed down, saw i was turning right way before, then booted it past me when i was just about to go. Luckily i checked over my shoulder and saw him. Only to be slowed down by the que of traffic going to the two mini RAB. ;)

wafflycat

Driving standards in Norwich are becoming appalling. It is now the norm for red lights to be jumped - by motorists. Indeed at one set today, I saw three cars jump the lights at amber to be immediately followed by nine jumping the same lights on red. A little while later, some moron turned the corner, into a queue of traffic by driving on the footpath & knocking over a wheelie bin. He then pulled out of the queue of traffic to park, completely blocking the pavement to any pedestrians. These came after the bus incident described above.

Mortiroloboy

wafflycat said:
Driving standards in Norwich are becoming appalling
wafflycat said:
. It is now the norm for red lights to be jumped - by motorists. Indeed at one set today, I saw three cars jump the lights at amber to be immediately followed by nine jumping the same lights on red. A little while later, some moron turned the corner, into a queue of traffic by driving on the footpath & knocking over a wheelie bin. He then pulled out of the queue of traffic to park, completely blocking the pavement to any pedestrians. These came after the bus incident described above.

Sadly not just Norwich I'm afraid, the standard of driving by an increasing number of drivers, leaves a lot to be desired, and they'll probably be the ones who are driving without having passed the test, and there are 10x more of those on the road than you can imagine, scary isn't it.

Melvil

I sat on the other side of the fence on Sunday.

Driving to Aberfoyle I was stuck on a road behind a group of cyclists, two of whom were cycling abreast of each other, making it impossible to overtake. Fair enough - I know it's legal but actually I thought it was a bit borderline as they were going extremely slow (10mph or less). They knew I was there and didn't even do a courtesy re-arrangement. I thought they were really quite inconsiderate.

Having said that, on the bike I've been on the receiving end of enough 'cut in ahead' maneuvers to know the fault usually lies with motor vehicles!

domtyler

Über Member
Also every other car seems to be foreign registered nowadays.

Still I suppose we should be grateful that the police are doing something more useful like dealing with mobile phone theft among teens. It doesn't really matter that there is anarchy on our highways does it?

domtyler

Über Member
Melvil said:
I sat on the other side of the fence on Sunday.

Driving to Aberfoyle I was stuck on a road behind a group of cyclists, two of whom were cycling abreast of each other, making it impossible to overtake. Fair enough - I know it's legal but actually I thought it was a bit borderline as they were going extremely slow (10mph or less). They knew I was there and didn't even do a courtesy re-arrangement. I thought they were really quite inconsiderate.

Having said that, on the bike I've been on the receiving end of enough 'cut in ahead' maneuvers to know the fault usually lies with motor vehicles!

They were only cyclists mate, if you can't go 'round, just go through! It's the only thing these bastards understand.

Mortiroloboy

domtyler said:
Also every other car seems to be foreign registered nowadays.

Still I suppose we should be grateful that the police are doing something more useful like dealing with mobile phone theft among teens. It doesn't really matter that there is anarchy on our highways does it?

There's always the Traffic Wombles...phfftt!

Melvil

domtyler said:
They were only cyclists mate, if you can't go 'round, just go through! It's the only thing these bastards understand.

Erm, you took the words right out of my mouth, Dom! ;):ohmy:;)

Top Bottom