Todmorden - Buckstones, CONFIRMED Sat 4th Mar, 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@Littgull and I are riding over to Buckstones on Saturday. I will be starting from Todmorden at 09:30 and riding over to Littleborough where I will meet Littgull at just before 10:00. If you would like to do the ride, you would be welcome to join us.

You could start and finish with me, Or if you prefer a Littleborough start and finish, meet Brian there and wait for me to arrive with any other Tod starters and ride back from Tod with him at the end.

There will be a cafe stop at about the halfway point.

We will ride through Hebden Bridge and then intend to climb the Heptonstall Road and continue over towards Burnley on the Long Causeway, and back over a couple more hills. We would be covering about 105 kms (65 miles).

If you'd had enough by Hebden Bridge you could opt to head straight back to Tod on the A646 and your total would then be about 70 kms (44 miles).

It is a hilly route so bear that in mind if you want to come along. You would have to be reasonably fit, but we will not be hurrying so you don't have to be superfit. If you ARE superfit then slow down to the speed of the rest of us. If you don't like being held up by slower riders, this ride is not for you! :okay:

We tend to average about 8-10 mph on these rides, including any stops. Steady, rather than quick.

I will flesh this post out with some more details over the next couple of days.

If you would like to join us, please express your interest below.

Riders:
  • ColinJ
  • Littgull

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

This map shows our route as a solid red line. The long final section from Hebden Bridge to Todmorden is quite strenuous so the shortcut shown as a dashed yellow line not only saves a significant distance but also about 900 metres of extra climbing, some of it steep.

Tod - Buckstones routes.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You've probably stuffed your faces with pancakes today so you will be needing some hard kms/miles to burn off those surplus calories - get your 2017 season off to a good start with me and Littgull!

The forecast for Saturday is currently looking okay, though a lot can change in 4.5 days.

There isn't much point in me adding more details unless we get some more riders. Sign up for the ride and I will arrange where to meet, when etc.

If you have any questions, fire away ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@Littgull - Brian, I have been watching the forecasts ... Saturday's is getting worse and Sunday's is getting better. Since nobody else has signed up for the ride, I wondered if you might prefer to tackle it in (hopefully!) better conditions on Sunday? We could wait another day or two before making the final decision.

The bike that I will be riding does not have mudguards so I would prefer it not to be too cold and wet when we ride!

RSVP :okay:

@Littgull - Brian, I have been watching the forecasts ... Saturday's is getting worse and Sunday's is getting better. Since nobody else has signed up for the ride, I wondered if you might prefer to tackle it in (hopefully!) better conditions on Sunday? We could wait another day or two before making the final decision.

The bike that I will be riding does not have mudguards so I would prefer it not to be too cold and wet when we ride!

RSVP :okay:

Hi Colin,

Ah yes, I've just logged in and seen the forecast, Saturday doesn't look that great now. I'm ok for Sunday if that still looks the better of the two by Friday pm.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hi Colin,

Ah yes, I've just logged in and seen the forecast, Saturday doesn't look that great now. I'm ok for Sunday if that still looks the better of the two by Friday pm.
Ok - I will make a decision on Friday afternoon and then stick with that!

Yes, it's very changeable. hopefully we will have a more stable forecast for both Saturday and Sunday by the end of Friday afternoon.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

VERY changeable! The forecast changes nearly every time that I look at it but I have looked at everywhere that we will be riding and the BBC and Met Office both give us a green light for Saturday and an amber for Sunday, so tomorrow it is - SAT 4th MARCH 2017!

@Littgull - please post below to show that you have read this and I will see you at the front of The Wine Press at Hollingworth Lake, Littleborough at 10:00. :okay:

Any non-committal riders who might turn up unannounced ... if you want to start from Todmorden, I will ride past Tod Chippy (next to the Dalton Street free car park and opposite the bus station) on my red Cannondale at 09:30. Make sure that you are there by 09:25. If you want to start from Littleborough, be waiting at The Wine Press no later than 09:55.

If you don't let us know that you are coming then we won't be hanging about on the off-chance that somebody does. It's a good, hilly route with some great scenery and a nice cafe stop. The weather should be okay, so stop making excuses and come and join us! :okay:

Hi Colin,

I agree Saturday still very much looks like the better day weatherwise.

Looking forward to a good hilly day in the saddle. Most of my cycling over the last 4 or 5 weeks has been on flattish terrain.

See you outside the Wine Press at 10 am.

Top Bottom