Toe clips...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bandini

I am new. If I am doing hills, is it silly to stick to toe clips? I just think there may be a bit of a learning curve with clipless, and I want to get amongst it!

MajorMantra

There's nothing wrong with toe clips, it's just that clipless is better! If you try it you won't regret it. There isn't much of a learning curve. :smile:

Matthew

snorri

Legendary Member
Some seem to like them, I prefer the freedom to cycle with whichever shoes I happen to be wearing at the time.:smile:. They are more high tech than clips, and therefore a greater fault liability, not a good thing when touring away from main centres of population, and bike shops. I suppose it depends on your concerns for performance, or lack of .:smile::blush:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You will more than likely notice a difference, and the learning curve depends on yourself.
They not only help on the hills, but also on the flats if you can get the technique right.

PK99

Legendary Member
Bandini said:
I am new. If I am doing hills, is it silly to stick to toe clips? I just think there may be a bit of a learning curve with clipless, and I want to get amongst it!

if you are used to toe clips you are used to "back and out" to put your foot down the transition is relatively easy

the difficult move is from platforms to clipless

havign stuck with toe clips for years i was eventually persuaded to try clipless - I had minimal problem and would never go back

Tony

PK99 said:
if you are used to toe clips you are used to "back and out" to put your foot down the transition is relatively easy

the difficult move is from platforms to clipless

havign stuck with toe clips for years i was eventually persuaded to try clipless - I had minimal problem and would never go back

+1
I started away from clips with a pair of pedals with a platform one side and SPD the other.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Read the two recent SPD threads in Beginners. Learning curve is very quick - one day and you will be sorted enough to tackle hills.

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Thanks all. I do like the idea of being able to wear any old trainers - but obviously a lot of pros to clipless. A mute point til after Christmas cos I can't spend any more money on cycling stuff...just thinking ahead!

Lone Rider

I tried SPD pedals, but I prefer toe clips - less problems - any footwear will do - no "special moments" - cheaper - etc - etc -
So they are less efficient - I'm not racing, I cycle for pleasure.

PK99

Legendary Member
Lone Rider said:
I tried SPD pedals, but I prefer toe clips - less problems - any footwear will do - no "special moments" - cheaper - etc - etc -

I too took a long time to be convinced - but having tried spds I would never go back

: more secure and in control feeling I was VERY dubious about SPDs on the mtb, being quite a tentative, foot down, sort of rider, but the extra control on the mtb is a real boon

: far easier to get in and out of than to clips. (No need to flip the pedal, instant engagement etc)

: more efficient

OP
OP
Bandini

Bandini

Lone Rider said:

I think this is where I am at. Clips I reckon. I'll get there in the end. And then I can have a drink in the pub without making a statement.

Top Bottom