toe overlap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
blazingsaddles said:
Thanks for replies,

Personally, inexperienced as I am I would prefer a bike without toe overlap.

Yorkshireman,

Good info provided there. From what little I know I would think that the compact frame is shortening wheelbases and causeing this issue to become more apparent and that compact frame designs are being used more by the manufacturers as less sizes are required to fit all.

The only firm I have found who will guarantee no toe overlap for myself is Thorn on their size 595L club tour which is also a compact frame but with a 620mm top tube.

Other than that you mentioned the minimum front centres dimension. What is this? Is it the distance from the bottom bracket centre to the front centre?

Thanks
Blazing saddles

Yes it is the distance from BB centre to wheel centre (I didn't 'mention it' by the way, the author of the text that I quoted was Chris Juden). Chris wrote quite a detailed article (printed in the April/May 2005 issue of Cycle) concerning such issues, which should be available on the CTC site (when whoever is doing things like that gets around to it). I have a copy that I could try scanning and emailing to you if you want.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Yorkshireman,

I enjoyed looking at your photos on your web site -took me back a bit -I used to regularly cycle between Tuxford and Harby and often cycled into Lincoln from Tuxford!

Hope you are enjoying your armchair, I'm sure you've not moved from it!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
blazingsaddles said:
Thanks for replies,

Personally, inexperienced as I am I would prefer a bike without toe overlap.

Yorkshireman,

Good info provided there. From what little I know I would think that the compact frame is shortening wheelbases and causeing this issue to become more apparent and that compact frame designs are being used more by the manufacturers as less sizes are required to fit all.

The only firm I have found who will guarantee no toe overlap for myself is Thorn on their size 595L club tour which is also a compact frame but with a 620mm top tube.

Other than that you mentioned the minimum front centres dimension. What is this? Is it the distance from the bottom bracket centre to the front centre?

Thanks
Blazing saddles

This is an interesting debate...

Firstly, compact frames have nothing to do with toe-overlap. Tosh IMO. The fixie I referred-to with significant toe-overlap is a 23" (not small) traditional diamond framed horizontal-tubed bike hand-made in 1949. Hardly new-fangled or overtly racy. I've owned other trad. shaped bikes with toe-overlap of various vintages. My modern very compact giant has no toe-overlap at all.

I'm not certain I agree with Juden either, bikes with short TT's must have tight toe-clearance unless head-angles are very slack and offsets large... which is fine, but they'll be nasty to ride.

Whilst I know you don't agree, the voices here seem to be of the view that in reality (as opposed to perception) toe-overlap is a non-issue.

OP
OP
blazingsaddles

blazingsaddles

Everybody has an opinion. It would be a boring world if we were all the same, with the same requirements.

Personally I think toe overlap becomes a problem when clipped in on a hairpin bend trying to manouver with a lorry taking up your roadspace as it passes by. Which is why I wanted to try and avoid it as I'll be touring in Spain, I know the roads and country well and I know how the lorry drivers are!

Other than that type of scenario I don't particularly think its an issue, but I don't understand why it should be so prevelant on touring bikes when surely a longer wheelbase is better and I have lots of clearance on my £ 230.00 specialized Globe.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
blazingsaddles said:
Everybody has an opinion. It would be a boring world if we were all the same, with the same requirements.

Personally I think toe overlap becomes a problem when clipped in on a hairpin bend trying to manouver with a lorry taking up your roadspace as it passes by. Which is why I wanted to try and avoid it as I'll be touring in Spain, I know the roads and country well and I know how the lorry drivers are!

Other than that type of scenario I don't particularly think its an issue, but I don't understand why it should be so prevelant on touring bikes when surely a longer wheelbase is better and I have lots of clearance on my £ 230.00 specialized Globe.

I can quite see your point and find it hard to understand why along wheelbase tourer would have toe-overlap where my short wheelbase Giant TCR does not...
Measurements!

1949 Holds = 58.5 Hub to BB and total wheelbase of 103.5 cm
Giant TCR1 = 60.0 Hub to BB and total wheelbase of 100.0 cm
1985 MTB = 62.0 Hub to BB and total wheelbase of 109.0 cm!!!!

So, the Giant has the shortest wheelbase, the smallercompact frame and no toe overlap. The Vintage Holds has 3.5 cm more length but is shorter twixt front hub and BB and thus has a few cm of toe overlap. Both Giant and Holdsworth have the same TT length. BUT, the seat-tube of the Holdsworth is very old fashioned with a lazy angle which pushes the BB forward towards the front wheel rather than the front wheel being pushed back to the frame. This may be the case with some touring-bikes, for long-distance comfort and balance, the BB is more forward relative to the seating position for a given TT length. The opposite scenario exists on TT bikes where the BB is almost directly below the seat and the seat-tube nearly vertical.

The MTB has really lazy seat-tube and head-tube angles, a long wheelbase but weirdly feels the shortest to ride!
Make of that what you will :biggrin:

GrahamG

Guru
It's nice not to have to worry about it IMO.

If you are having that much of a problem getting a touring frame off-the-peg with no overlap, why not just go custom? Thorns are just too ugly :thumbsup:

I had a Hewitt audax custom made and on the notes for the frame builder were 'no toe overlap w/44 shoes & guards'.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
It does seem the majority of people here do believe toe overlap isn't a problem -however I just do not concur (granted it might be because I cycle on a variety of bicycles and I only have one with toe overlap -or then again it appears I'm not macho enough and should be in an armchair :wacko:)

My problem with toe overlap usually occurs when you are setting off from a junction, and taking a tight turn and having to just slightly hurry up more than usual. What can and does happen with me is that my progress is interrupted, and sometimes have to do a bit more of a balancing act as my steering is impeded. And I do have that happen -nothing to do with perception here! (perhaps the people who say they don't have problems are just imagining it? :o)

I should also add this happens on a road bike, not a touring bike, and I wonder if this problem is potentially more of an issue on a tourer once you are loaded up -and honestly I'd forego a mudguard to prevent toe overlap. Regardless, I'm one of the minority who would say get a bike with no toe overlap -probably more so with a tourer.

blazingsaddles said:

Personally I think toe overlap becomes a problem when clipped in on a hairpin bend trying to manouver with a lorry taking up your roadspace as it passes by.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Nigeyy said:
It does seem the majority of people here do believe toe overlap isn't a problem -however I just do not concur (granted it might be because I cycle on a variety of bicycles and I only have one with toe overlap -or then again it appears I'm not macho enough and should be in an armchair ;))

My problem with toe overlap usually occurs when you are setting off from a junction, and taking a tight turn and having to just slightly hurry up more than usual. What can and does happen with me is that my progress is interrupted, and sometimes have to do a bit more of a balancing act as my steering is impeded. And I do have that happen -nothing to do with perception here! (perhaps the people who say they don't have problems are just imagining it? :rolleyes:)

I should also add this happens on a road bike, not a touring bike, and I wonder if this problem is potentially more of an issue on a tourer once you are loaded up -and honestly I'd forego a mudguard to prevent toe overlap. Regardless, I'm one of the minority who would say get a bike with no toe overlap -probably more so with a tourer.

You may have said before but are you clipless?

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Clipless on all my bikes (with the exception of my old Rudge 3-speed Shopper).

If I rode my one bike with overlap more often, I'm sure I could adjust better -but again, out of choice, no overlap thanks.

maurice

Toe overlap being a problem on hairpins is a non-issue anyway, if you're going more than a couple mph then your bars turn right when you take a left-hander and vice versa - counter steering / leaning and all that.

maurice said:
Toe overlap being a problem on hairpins is a non-issue anyway, if you're going more than a couple mph then your bars turn right when you take a left-hander and vice versa - counter steering / leaning and all that.

On a fully loaded tourer maneuvering at low speeds toe overlap can be a (minor?) problem. If something like this
2008_0620TREK0001.jpg

can be built to have toe clearance like this
2008_0904398Peds0004.jpg

(and I have fairly big feet for my height:blush:), and bearing in mind that this is a 'hybrid' that I use for touring and general recreational riding, why not make all specific touring bikes with similar geometry?

maurice

*Shrugs*, I did Dieppe to Nice this summer on a loaded Allez that has loads of toe overlap, never once an issue riding. The only time I notice it is if I'm hopping around semi-clipped in doing a 3 point turn or something.

France096bcf.jpg

maurice said:
*Shrugs*, I did Dieppe to Nice this summer on a loaded Allez that has loads of toe overlap, never once an issue riding. The only time I notice it is if I'm hopping around semi-clipped in doing a 3 point turn or something.

France096bcf.jpg

*Also shrugs*, so if there's no disadvantage (all things being equal - if they ever are :wacko:) to building/riding a bike without any toe overlap, whereas if there's even a slight disadvantage in building/riding a bike that has toe overlap ... Why not have all touring/general purpose bikes built with no overlap?

maurice

Yorkshireman said:
*Also shrugs*, so if there's no disadvantage (all things being equal - if they ever are ;)) to building/riding a bike without any toe overlap, whereas if there's even a slight disadvantage in building/riding a bike that has toe overlap ... Why not have all touring/general purpose bikes built with no overlap?

Answers in the question, there must be some disadvantage or trade-offs associated.

I expect it's a complex issue on frame alone, before you go into fork offset, fork length, tyre diameter, crank length and preferred cleat position.

maurice said:
Answers in the question, there must be some disadvantage or trade-offs associated.

I expect it's a complex issue on frame alone, before you go into fork offset, fork length, tyre diameter, crank length and preferred cleat position.

I don't think that there are any disadvantages in a touring/general purpose bike not having any toe overlap, which is one of the reasons why I originally posted this

Interesting post from Chris Juden on the CTC Forum

Quote:
It's a very common design fault, especially prevalent in American designs, where they take no account of mudguards even when the fork has provision to fit them. Some bikes even have toe overlap with a bare tyre!

If you want to avoid this fault - and you should - you will need to restrict your choice to British designs or go custom, strictly specifying the minimum front centres dimension. Amongst ready-made bikes of the sort you are after, Thorn Audax is one of the few that should give the necessary clearance.

Edit: In reply to pigman, toe overlap does occasionally cause riders to fall, never at high speed, but it is possible to fall into the path of a faster following vehicle whilst riding slowly. I've known (sometimes seen) riders fall due to this fault when starting off, zig-zagging up a steep hill, weaving through a traffic jam and negotiating cyclepath obstacles. Toe overlap with a front mudguard can be even more dangerous. It damages the mudguard and encourages the rider to adjust the guard very close to the tyre, so it becomes liable to jam if a stone is picked up. Riders have died or become paralysed as the result of a jammed mudguard.

I find no correlation between bikes that handle well and those with short front centres. In fact I prefer the front wheel a bit further ahead for another reason too: it allows harder braking without risk of pitchover, so I'm happy riding faster downhill on a bike with long front centres.

The only problem with longer front centres is the availability of shorter stems to go with the longer top tubes, and longer rake forks to go with the shallower head angles. If these components can be sourced the riding position and handling will be just as good, if they can't it will be compromised.

Unfortunately there's a hair shirt tendency amonst sporting cyclists that tends to construct a performance myth around any factor that makes their bike somehow more exclusive. Toe overlap does this perfectly: no trouble for an experienced racer at speed, but slow novices fall off. Very funny.

Anyhow: the norms of racing frame design have evolved with scant regard for toe clearance, with the result that we have standard designs of fork and a limited choice in stems that makes it a bit hard to design a good bike that has it. Hard but not impossible. Some manufacturers meet that challenge, most do not.

I see it as part of my job to stimulate a demand for bikes that not only perform but are also safe against easily forseeable dangers.

Thread here :-
http://forum.ctc.org.uk/viewtopic.ph...+overlap#99957

and Chris Juden puts it far better than I ever could.

Top Bottom