Tom , Pride Of Yorkshire!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couldnt quite believe it - a BRIT winning the World CX! And we won TWO categories!

(interesting to see Pidcock carrying a bottle - and using it several times. I've never seen a bottle in a CX race - my frame doesn't even have the bosses. INEOS Marginal Gains??)

Couldnt quite believe it - a BRIT winning the World CX! And we won TWO categories!

(interesting to see Pidcock carrying a bottle - and using it several times. I've never seen a bottle in a CX race - my frame doesn't even have the bosses. INEOS Marginal Gains??)
Watching his cross races over the last few weeks he has seemed to need a bit of energy in the closing laps. That course was perfect for having a bottle.
And looked like the bike had a double chainset? You'd not get away with that on most euro cross courses.

@matticus

I was surprised by that, but in the (Eurosport) commentary, it did state that present regulations (not sure if just in UCI sanctioned races?) don’t allow a bottle to be passed over
If a rider wants another bottle, they have to put & change bike!!
I certainly wasn't aware of that reg - I'm not much of a Rules Lawyer anyway, plus it's just never been an issue at races I've ridden or spectated.
(I've done *one* race in September when it was so warm I did want a drink, but it was no hardship to manage without - only 40minute races for us, and an hour would probably have been ok.)

(For those with even less CX knowledge than me:
- the races are generally in cold weather, and
- bottle cages can be an impediment to carrying the bike (and are somewhere else to gather mud).
So very few race frames will have them. )

I didn't notice the double chainset @cougie uk !

EDIT: there ya go https://www.cyclingweekly.com/produ...ed-for-sundays-cyclocross-world-championships : a front changer and a bottle cage. They'll be all the rage when September rolls around!

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I certainly wasn't aware of that reg - I'm not much of a Rules Lawyer anyway, plus it's just never been an issue at races I've ridden or spectated.
(I've done *one* race in September when it was so warm I did want a drink, but it was no hardship to manage without - only 40minute races for us, and an hour would probably have been ok.)

(For those with even less CX knowledge than me:
- the races are generally in cold weather, and
- bottle cages can be an impediment to carrying the bike (and are somewhere else to gather mud).
So very few race frames will have them. )

I didn't notice the double chainset @cougie uk !

EDIT: there ya go https://www.cyclingweekly.com/produ...ed-for-sundays-cyclocross-world-championships : a front changer and a bottle cage. They'll be all the rage when September rolls around!
That was a fairly unusual cyclocross race, with no mud or sand. I didn't see anybody change a bike during the race at all, although the pit crews were standing ready with them.

That was a fairly unusual cyclocross race, with no mud or sand. I didn't see anybody change a bike during the race at all, although the pit crews were standing ready with them.
Reminded me of razzing round the park at the end of a long hot summer. Definitely not a normal criss course but that doesn't take anything away from his win.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Reminded me of razzing round the park at the end of a long hot summer. Definitely not a normal criss course but that doesn't take anything away from his win.

When you see the competitors in short sleeves and shorts, no gloves, drinking during the race, then you wonder what you are actually watching. I think the weather and course suited Tom, but wouldn't have bet against him winning in any conditions with that field.

Top Bottom