Tomatoes: Really poor season!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
how did the blackbird get into the greenhouse??
Door left open most of the time in Summer. I built the greenhouse with the primary purpose of overwintering tender plants, so didn't bother with the additional complication of opening vents etc., so ventilation is via the door hole. Plenty of hoverflies take advantage (good for pollination and pest control), and so do some birds - robins and sparrows do us a favour by eating aphids and other potential nasties, and sometimes take shelter. I've no direct evidence to blame the blackbird, but it seems the likeliest suspect based on previous experience!

No sign of rodent teeth marks, no slime.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Door left open most of the time in Summer. I built the greenhouse with the primary purpose of overwintering tender plants, so didn't bother with the additional complication of opening vents etc., so ventilation is via the door hole. Plenty of hoverflies take advantage (good for pollination and pest control), and so do some birds - robins and sparrows do us a favour by eating aphids and other potential nasties, and sometimes take shelter. I've no direct evidence to blame the blackbird, but it seems the likeliest suspect based on previous experience!

No sign of rodent teeth marks, no slime.
im about to build my green house this atumn/winter....i'm going to replace one of the windows with enviromesh, to ensure it doesnt overheat and gets airflow to stop humidity and damp issues.....

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Had a big pigeon stuck in our greenhouse recently; In through the open door, then repeatedly tried to go out through the glass panels of the roof.
<Pause> flap BANG <pause> flap BANG <pause> flap BANG!

Hell of a noise. Wouldn't mind if it ate some of the snails.

iluvmybike

Über Member
Sadly we had the same - it is blight which is an airborne virus - due to recent warm and wet conditions, We went away for 3 days leaving strong plants with loads of fruits and 3 days later returned to find blackened plants and destroyed fruits. You can make a spray with baking soda and oil to help but they need to be done BEFORE the blight strikes. All you can do now is destroy the rotted plants (don't burn them as this spreads the spores in the air and don't put them on your compost heap) - put them in your garden waste reccyling bin as council composters run at a high enough temperature to kill the spores. Don't plant tomatoes or potatos in that place next year

PaulSB

Legendary Member
The thing I forgot which has been astonishingly successful this year is peppers. I'm usually happy with a few, this year we currently have about 20 with the same number starting to develop. The bonus is the earwigs don't seem to be after them this year either.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The thing I forgot which has been astonishingly successful this year is peppers. I'm usually happy with a few, this year we currently have about 20 with the same number starting to develop. The bonus is the earwigs don't seem to be after them this year either.
There is always something after your crop!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
First of the outdoor Pink Brandywine; fingers crossed for the rest, but they're looking good so far.

Top Bottom