Tommasini bike with Reynolds 531 frame help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bart

Ladies and Gentleman

Please anyone could help me estimate the age and value of the bike. This bike have spent last couple of years or even more in garage, it is in good general condition-no rust.

There is no much information on the bike itself, however the labels say: Tommasini, Reynolds 531 frame, Rigidia wheels, Simplex gears

Pictures:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/img2714jr.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/img2715y.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/443/img2716g.jpg/

Cheers

the frame is probably 80s vintage - looks like a touring frame. There's no particular collector/nostalgic value to it, in my opinion. Probably worth whatever someone wants to pay you for it.

I'm a bit suprised to see a Tommasini made from 531, tbh - I thought most were made from Columbus tubing - which makes me wonder whether it is actually what you think it is. The pics aren't particularly clear - where does it say Tommasini..?

OP
OP
B

bart

It must be only a Tommasini sticker on random bike with 531 frame I guess, the reason why I have posted the topic is to find out is there any point to invest the money in bearing repair and ratchet modification. I wish to keep the bike but if the repairs would be more expensive than new second hand similar bike there is no point to repair it

cheers folks

HovR

Über Member
It must be only a Tommasini sticker on random bike with 531 frame I guess, the reason why I have posted the topic is to find out is there any point to invest the money in bearing repair and ratchet modification. I wish to keep the bike but if the repairs would be more expensive than new second hand similar bike there is no point to repair it

cheers folks

Reynolds 531 bikes tend to go for £200+ "Buy it Now" on eBay when in good working condition - Some bikes can be priced much higher. When bidding most bikes will go for over £100, but if you keep a tight watch on the listings you may get a good deal.

With that in mind, if it is a true 531 framed bike, not just a bike someone stuck a 531 sticker on, then it is most likely well worth making the repairs.

can we see the Reynolds sticker..? As the frame appears to be touring spec, the sticker (if genuine) should probably say something like 531 ST..

The 531 sticker design dates it to about 1984 onwards - and probably only the main tubes are made from 531. In the absense of any obvious Tommasini branding on the headtube, I would guess the frame is probably not one of theirs.

Have a look at the rear drop outs. My 80's Tommasini has "TOMMASINI" engraved/etched here.
I would expect to see the Tommasini 'T' cut into the lugs.
The bottom bracket Shell is also unusual. It has a big vent/drain hole on the back of a sort of wedge. (if that makes sense?) The gear cables are then routed through this wedge.
I suspect your frame is something else if it doesn't have these features.
Hope this helps?

Top Bottom